JeffieBoy

Who knows what retirement brings . . .

That's correct. The covenants for the "village" are something like 100 pages long, and the process youre undertaking up there would be ::possible:: but man alive it would take some time to get everyone on board. They are generally very reasonable at the higher level, but its the "compliance inspector volunteers" who drive around and look for violations that are the worst. They always are advertising for people to do this, and in my opinion, anyone who willfully would like to do that, is the worst person to do that job.

Thursday April 10.  Well the gov’t has partially shut down our project.  The provincial government has declared landscaping as being non essential.  Actual construction is considered essential.  So the full landscaping crew has been laid off after their first week of the season.  The contractor and his son who do the actual construction have been coming in this week every day to work on the building.

So it looks like we will get our nice new building finished.  However the perimeter grading, drainage, pavestone driveway, fence and patio will have to wait until further into the summer for completion.

Here is where we stand as of Thursday morning first thing!

20D28A32-68BF-43BD-8ADE-D3E574BAFFBE.jpeg

April 18.  Well, after a week of partial shutdown our father & son team managed to keep the project moving forward.  Sides have been put on, trusses and plywood installed, membrane on the roof and Tyvek wrapped.  Pretty good all in all.  All weathertight! Shingles will go on Monday and siding wood is scheduled for delivery as well.  After that we will slow down as windows, garage door and electrical scheduling is not confirmed due to the isolation issues.

From this afternoon...

861143A1-857C-4362-82CE-790766D5488A.jpeg

FCFD2BFF-8200-4DEB-853B-C3301306AC66.jpeg

Looks good, considering the crazy times.  I can't believe grading and drainage are considered nonessential by anyone with a brain.  That affects groundwater and downstream water quality and community health.  You have some idiots in government.  Good luck with your project.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, daninpd said:

Looks good, considering the crazy times.  I can't believe grading and drainage are considered nonessential by anyone with a brain.  That affects groundwater and downstream water quality and community health.  You have some idiots in government.  Good luck with your project.

I am guessing that the idiot with the rubber stamp thinks it is simply “landscaping”.  I think that since he is down to two people, once the building is taken as far as possible he might be able to simply keep moving onto the drainage and landscaping as long as he is discrete and stays under the radar.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:04 AM, JeffieBoy said:

I am guessing that the idiot with the rubber stamp thinks it is simply “landscaping”.  I think that since he is down to two people, once the building is taken as far as possible he might be able to simply keep moving onto the drainage and landscaping as long as he is discrete and stays under the radar.

Sounds more like he's down to two pencils if he considers drainage or grading to be "Landscaping".  Good luck and have fun with that project.  (Even when they aren't fun at moments, projects like that are fun in the rear-view-mirror)

On 4/24/2020 at 7:32 AM, Rick in Ontario said:

What size is your building Jeff? I'm dreaming about building too.

Hello Rick,  the building interior is 15 feet by 27 with 10 feet under the trusses.  It is a bit taller than we wanted as we are building into the hillside and needed a minimum of 6 feet below the eaves at the back.  The garage door is 10 foot wide to allow for easy access for my boat.  There will be room for a smallish work area in there as well.

You are just down the road from us.  If you want to do an inspection and promise to be less critical than the building inspector, you are welcome to come by.  Just say the word.

May 3.  After a long week of what seemed to be slow progress and the contractors taking time off to assist a dying family member, I am happy to report that we are managing to get some of the armour stones into place, and about 90 percent of the board and baten installed.  The final wood needs the garage door, man door and windows in place before installation.  We have the man door, but the other vendors have been closed due to the provincial Covid response.  It looks like Tuesday will be the floor pour date.  

My wife and I decided to begin the staining process so that when the aluminum soffit and fascia are installed they can do there job with finished wood already in place.  Less mess overall.  Here are a few photos.

5164D850-6753-4224-8025-57AF1FF6B9DC.jpeg

E44C04D7-D488-4444-AED8-4E913E45D126.jpeg

69FE235F-B856-4A08-95F1-AB6E4E2913F1.jpeg

020024FD-6254-4915-B27A-7DB2398262B2.jpeg

May 15.  As we round the bend into the final straight, we have a few issues.  Windows and garage door have been delayed by Covid closures.  Fingers crossed for only two more weeks wait as we’ve been promised.  The old driveway pavers have been made into a beautiful 500 square foot patio,, the new driveway pavers are almost halfway complete and a buyer has come forward to buy the remainder of the old pavers.  That saves about 1 or 2 tonnes of paver going to landfill.  He actually lives down the street and our contractor did his driveway about 15 years ago with the same stones.  He uses a landscaper for maintenance and their use of road salt has destroyed a lot of his stones.  These will allow a brick by brick replacement that almost perfectly matches existing.

We have ordered a 16 foot triangular sail and will hang it over the new patio when it arrives.

An 8 foot deep french drain sitting on a massive bag of five tonnes of crushed stone will help with our drainage issues and while very industrial looking will have to do.  I can live with it and it has been suggested that we buy a straw or coco mat to cover it with during the summer season. We will see about that one.

Here are a few progress photos for you.

476D7207-F67E-4F72-8473-3D0D6C236280.jpeg

738ED652-549B-4B6C-B85B-5611A82D97A6.jpeg

9B57966A-3D11-41EF-9A09-CFBEB5013640.jpeg

052CCDC9-3C92-4708-B879-4F4461A1368D.jpeg

98980E8B-3CB5-41A1-991A-C6F10B671D6F.jpeg

FF3D1B1D-0ECC-4FBE-A494-42D3DC977B07.jpeg