philpom

Is there a connection between preparedness and the Kamado?

I know many of us own food vacuum systems, stock our freezers with sale meat and enjoy cooking so much we have a variety of food on hand at all times.  I see many folks on here with a similar opinion regarding this run on the grocery stores too. 

Are folks who cook on a kamado inherently more prepared or are people with a "be prepared" attitude just more likely to buy a kamado?  Is it related to the general age of the Guru and related life experiences?  Are my observations just wrong?

Our general approach is that we keep the home in a constant state of readiness.  Not for the end of the world but for the unknown.  We have a well stocked home, keep some water and preserve food.  I have alternative cooking methods, (AKA grills) and keep the cars gassed, the fuel cans full etc. We enjoy both "luxury camping" and "primitive" camping so always have dried meals ready to eat.  These activities have provided the opportunity to learn many different skills.  We also have a remote mountain home.

I am curious what others thoughts are on not just the current COVID-19 event but your general take on preparedness.  Is it a conscious thing for you, do you just wing it and hope or do you go further with a big plan?  Do you have a 72 hour kit, do you keep a get home bag?  Is all of that silly and should we all just rely on the government?  Do you go further and prepare for events such as WROL or SHTF, a financial collapse or nuclear event?

Most importantly, do you have an underground compound fully stocked that my family can share with you?  :rofl:

Interesting point. Perhaps our shared practice of primitive cooking-with-fire leads us to DIY/self-sufficiency mentality. I like eating out but I prefer to eat in. I like knowing what I’m eating and the quality of my ingredients. I also get great satisfaction out of creating something, particularly if it’s delicious, since I push paper and buttons all day in my professional life. 

I have a healthy stockpile of staples that should sustain me and my wife for a week or two. Not out of doomsday prepping, just because I like having enough around that I can whip up something good on a moments notice. 

I know lots of people who never, or rarely, experience the working end of their (sometimes high-end) kitchens. I wouldn’t want to be in a position that I need to rely on restaurants or take-out for my day-to-day sustenance. 

I would like to think we're prepared for most disasters already.  I sure didn't run out and buy out the stores of TP.  I figure my wife and I could survive about a month with what we got on hand.  We live not in a wilderness area but semi hi up in the Cascades where it's 1/2 hour to town. Lots of cougar, bear, deer (venison) and coyotes.  Generator, kamados, smoker, gas burner and lots of ammo.:-D

I grew up in a family of modest means. We always set aside a little for hard times and believed it was a sin to waste food. Those were good lessons I have taken to heart. The Boy Scouts hammered home the message to "Be Prepared" and my love of backpacking has left me with the gear and experience to take care of myself in most situations.
Buying food and necessities in bulk, when it's on sale, is the smart thing for me to do - it's not necessarily a preparedness or survival idea. It's just what I do. I'm good for a month of groceries at any given time.
I'm not a highly social person. I hit my favorite beer joint about twice a week to hang out with my geezer buddies. I trust them to have good common sense and that they would avoid situations that would put them at risk - and certainly wouldn't expose the rest of us - if they thought they had. Most of the rest of my social interactions are incidental that come with the every day "cost of doing business".
I'll probably hang out at the house a little more than usual and wash my hands every chance I get when I am out.

Most of all, I have trustworthy friends and family close by. We will take care of each other.

***Years ago, I learned a lot about improvisation in "sanitary" matters.
The guy who used up the roll of TP we kept in the dash of the truck didn't always remember to tell the rest of the crew the next morning before we got out on the right-of-way.....

As long as you had sufficient supply of charcoal for kamados.    Which reminds me I am down to my last bag.   Hoping for another Kamado Joe roadshow at Costco in my area.   The bigs of big block where much larger than the normal size bags you see else where.   

I do have 72 hour kit if I have to bug out.   I got it because of my backpacking experience.

Many people might wonder what "prepared" means and the answer is a little different for everyone and admittedly if you weren't prepared it's a little late for the current covid-19 event.  It's not too late to take note and be prepared for whatever life throws at you next.  It can be as simple as a city boil water notice (common from what I can observe) or as complex as the total lack of first responders for an extended time (think Katrina).

A few simple ideas to help get you started.  Basic needs are important.  Water, food and basic first aid.  I encourage my adult sons to at least keep some bottled water under their beds and extra food at the house.  There are tons of resources on the internet so I won't go into lots of detail but it could be as simple as:

Fill a few totes with canned food items, pasta, rice beans and the like.  Fill these with meal plans in mind and know how many meals/people/days each tote will feed.  Mark the tote with a date a bit earlier than the expiration date of any items in it.  Include some canned meats, tuna, spam (I know) and some salt, sugar, pepper and drink mix.  If you don't need it over the next few years no worries, there is a food bank that would love your non-perishable donations (and we all donate already don't we?).  

Another more advanced idea is to keep a large storage pantry loaded with the staples you use in your home.  (think months of food or more)  Now use this large storage pantry to "shop and stock" your kitchens working pantry.  Back fill the storage pantry on a regular basis.  Your food will never expire and you will always have what you need when you need it.  There will be some up front cost but in the end you'll spend no more than you normally do for groceries but you'll be prepared.

You can take food to the next level and buy freeze dried food in #10 cans.  These will typically last for 20-25 years but can be considered an extreme option.  A valid option non the less and can double as excellent camping and hiking food (ever eat a mountain house meal on the trail?)

Water, as I mentioned earlier you should at least keep a few cases under the bed but honestly water is more important that food.  7 weeks without food, 7 days without water, 7 minutes without oxygen.  Options include:

• Storing cases and cases of bottled water (not practical)
  • Life straw for small quantities of potable water
  • Iodine or bleach tablets
  • Ceramic filters 
  • boiling water from a pond
  • Large scale storage in 55 gallon barrels or larger
  • and more...

If you have a swimming pool that water can't be used to drink or cook but it will flush your toilets, wash your clothes and you can keep yourself clean with it.  Don't forget that the average hot water tank holds 40 gallons of potable water.

Some other things to consider:

• Keep a quantity of maintenance medication on hand
  • Don't forget Advil, NyQuil and the like
  • Get a quality first aid kit (you should have one already)
  • Take care of yourself, get in or stay in shape
  • Keep you car fuel tanks full
  • Have a plan

It's like insurance, most of us have health, life and car insurance why not this?

The primary point is that there is abroad definition of "prepared" and it can be very affordable all they way to extreme and expensive.  You can start for only $1 a day so why not?

My food for thought.

Best

I think in general it probably means you are somewhat well off, have a suburban or larger property, and enjoy cooking. 

All of those things combined indicate you are going to do okay in a short downturn.

In our case, we are all home every day right now, and the meat stores may not last as long as I had thought becuase I can slow cook on weekdays now..

I guess I may take the prize for stashing water. I have three 5,000 gallon water tanks connected to my well and water system.  Raising horses, I don't want to be caught without water if my well goes out.  Have a generator to keep the fridge and lights running and run the well if that became necessary (that would be a hassle).  Could probably last a month without leaving my property.  Between (sweet) dogs and (grumpy) owner could discourage anyone wanting to molest my horses or get into my stuff.  Hope springs eternal but be prepared.

Australians seem to have moved on from hoarding Toilet Paper and Hand Towls to Mince Meat (ground beef) now 

Every butcher and supermarket in the country is selling it as fast as they can make it.

I'll wager you'd be hard pressed to find a brisket in this country after this all wraps up as they've all probably gone through a mincer by now 

My local chain supermarkets have been cleaned out of: Toilet Paper, any kind of meat, Hand Towl, Potatos, Onions, Pasta, Rice, Flour, Canned Goods, Tomatos, Carrots and Bread

Aside from that, its not too bad 

I figure everyone who bought 1000kg of pasta are now chasing down what they need to make 2000kg of Spag Bol 

My freezer is full and i've got ton of brisket trim i can mince up, should l feel a hankering for burgers or meat loaf

To answer you original question, I think BBQ Guys are hoarders by nature as we try to take advantage of sales and stockpile in order to make this hobby as affordable as possible, so its not crazy to think most of us have a couple butts and a few bags of lump stashed away (at a minimum)

I'm just glad the bottle shops (liqour stores) seem to have been spared the chaos of late

When i went shopping yesterday, beer was the only thing i needed that seemed to be in good supply

Still only bought 1 case though  

It is starting to normalize in Crazy California, so there is hope for the world.  I went out in search for a whole chicken for a Vietnamese chicken recipe for the Joe. both Walmarts: zip:  Nob Hill: zip;  sweet little local grocery store:  whole, fresh chicken, lemongrass, cilantro and fresno chiles. Chicken is in the marinade overnight! 

Tomorrow:  Vietnamese Style Chicken and Pomelo with Toasted Coconut Salad.

13 hours ago, daninpd said:

I guess I may take the prize for stashing water. I have three 5,000 gallon water tanks connected to my well and water system.  Raising horses, I don't want to be caught without water if my well goes out.  Have a generator to keep the fridge and lights running and run the well if that became necessary (that would be a hassle).  Could probably last a month without leaving my property.  Between (sweet) dogs and (grumpy) owner could discourage anyone wanting to molest my horses or get into my stuff.  Hope springs eternal but be prepared.

I have seen systems that have a series of 55 gallon drums connected in series to the faucet.  Everytime you use the hose it replaces the water keeping it fresh and ensures several hundred gallons of potable water at all times.

We never, ever give a thought to "preparedness" in terms of emergencies. However, we tend to buy pretty much everything in bulk whenever possible. There are only two of us in our household, but we're generally stocked more like a family of four or more, simply because it's usually a lot cheaper to buy larger quantities and we have plenty of room for storage. In addition to our kitchen fridge, we have a "beer fridge" and a chest freezer in the basement. I put beer fridge in quotation marks because beer most often is the smallest percentage of what's in there. Mostly it's extra sodas, seltzers, and other stuff that we need at the ready but don't have room for in the kitchen fridge. The chest freezer is almost always at least 3/4 full, mostly meats. Under all-out siege conditions, I would imagine we'd have food for 4 or 5 weeks, and basic cleaning supplies and sundries for probably 3 or 4 months. But it's driven purely by economics.