Countering Rising Temperatures over a long smoke

All,

I've had multiple smokes under my belt now on my Kamado Classic, and the issue i'm experiencing is always the same.

I'll have the kamado sitting at 230 for up to 6 hours, and then it will slowly begin to creep up.

My current smoke was at 230 from around 9am until around 5pm. After that, it has slowly crept up into the 240s and now in the 250s. 

Is there a way to fight this without adjusting the vents, or is it just a necessary side-effect of going standard and not using an electronic system?

It’s normal. 

You have ave to remember that your meat will act like a heat sink. As your cook progresses, your meat is less effective as a heat sink. 

Besides, temp swings upward of 20 degrees is really nothing over a long cook

2 hours ago, BrianAZ said:

It’s normal. 

You have ave to remember that your meat will act like a heat sink. As your cook progresses, your meat is less effective as a heat sink. 

Besides, temp swings upward of 20 degrees is really nothing over a long cook

+1

I use an empty drip pan and if I need to bring temps down I'll put an inch or so of water in the pan.  Works great.

However, a temp increase from 230 to 250 is really nothing to worry about.  And like others said, it's caused by your meat getting up to temp.

If your temps are creeping up start closing the vents.  No reason not to.  My Tip Top Temp does this for me as do electronic temp controllers.  Of course if the temp starts getting too low open the vents.  Just make slight adjustments and wait 15 minutes to establish stability.