Just got a KJ classic 2! Live in New Zealand

Whutzgood

Welcome to the family.  The best tip I have is to watch John's "Getting to Know Your Joe" video series.  After watching #5 "Controlling Your Temps" I never looked back.  Start setting things up 50 degrees before your target and you can stay spot on for the whole cook.

Congratulations, the KJ Classic is a great grill. My favorite way to cook steak is to set up a two zone cooking environment. It is very easy to do this with your new Joe.  After filling your Joe with lump, you put in one half stone deflector on the left side of your grill, leaving the right side open, then simply  set in your main grate. You start the steak on the left side of your grill over the 1/2 stone, where it will receive indirect heat. Use an instant read temp probe to check the temp now and then. My target internal  temp while over indirect heat is115 F or what ever that is converted to Centigrade. When you hit that temp, simply drag you steak over to the right side of the grill over direct flame and finish it up,  flipping it every minute or two until you hit your target temp.  I usually pull my steaks at 125 depending on how thick the steak is and then let it rest (tented with aluminum foil)  for 10 to 15 minutes depending on thickness to get the juices back in place. You can run your grill anywhere from 375 to 450 and come out with a great result. Have fun and enjoy your new grill.  some folks like to pull the steak, after the indirect phase and tent it while they raise the grill temp to 550 or so. I however get great result with out going above high moderate heat. Oh by the way, when you light your grill it will put out white smoke for a awhile, don't put on food while your getting white smoke. As your fire develops your smoke color will change to a nice almost invisible blue grey color. Wait for the blue smoke before you put on food or your steak will taste sharp and acrid.  

3 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Congratulations, the KJ Classic is a great grill. My favorite way to cook steak is to set up a two zone cooking environment. It is very easy to do this with your new Joe.  After filling your Joe with lump, you put in one half stone deflector on the left side of your grill, leaving the right side open, then simply  set in your main grate. You start the steak on the left side of your grill over the 1/2 stone, where it will receive indirect heat. Use an instant read temp probe to check the temp now and then. My target internal  temp while over indirect heat is115 F or what ever that is converted to Centigrade. When you hit that temp, simply drag you steak over to the right side of the grill over direct flame and finish it up,  flipping it every minute or two until you hit your target temp.  I usually pull my steaks at 125 depending on how thick the steak is and then let it rest (tented with aluminum foil)  for 10 to 15 minutes depending on thickness to get the juices back in place. You can run your grill anywhere from 375 to 450 and come out with a great result. Have fun and enjoy your new grill.  some folks like to pull the steak, after the indirect phase and tent it while they raise the grill temp to 550 or so. I however get great result with out going above high moderate heat. Oh by the way, when you light your grill it will put out white smoke for a awhile, don't put on food while your getting white smoke. As your fire develops your smoke color will change to a nice almost invisible blue grey color. Wait for the blue smoke before you put on food or your steak will taste sharp and acrid.  

IMG_20200322_143919_483.jpg

14 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

You start the steak on the left side of your grill over the 1/2 stone, where it will receive indirect heat. Use an instant read temp probe to check the temp now and then. My target internal  temp while over indirect heat is115 F or what ever that is converted to Centigrade. When you hit that temp, simply drag you steak over to the right side of the grill over direct flame and finish it up,  flipping it every minute or two until you hit your target temp.

Thanks for the tip on doing a reverse sear. I will have to try this since I have not had good results doing it the generally accepted way of resting the steak and raising the grill temp.