philpom

Cheese curd - farmers cheese

Awhile back I bought a small cheese curd press.  I have used it a few times but not exactly for its intended purpose but I did this time.

It's been a few weeks now and I have potentially months to go but wanted to share now.

I used a gallon of whole milk, a 12 strain bacterial source and citric acid to form the curd.  From there I blended with salt and dried hot peppers, placed in cheese cloth (grade 90) and pressed it under 50 pounds for 2 days.  Rotating and changing the cheese cloth daily.  After that i took the well formed round and put it in the fridge to dry a bit and form a skin, about a week.  After that I used the food vaccum instead of wax to seal it and tossed it in the back of the fridge to age.  

It's been 8 days now.  Only need at least 7 to 15 weeks or more, excited about this one. 

Here it is after the press and a week to air.

20200323_195150.thumb.jpg.fefcac0f0c9728b59feb2f6c67157814.jpg

And here it is after 8 days of aging.   

20200323_195251.thumb.jpg.35d87dacd830290a389dc91734c2465b.jpg

Not much to see but something is going on in there and I hope it's delicious. 

If you visit cheese making forums you'll know that vaccum versus wax is a legitimate debate.  Good or bad IDK but it's the way we are rolling here.  I'll be sure to post more.

Looks cool! I’ve been debating about dipping my toe into cheese making (figuratively, no one likes toe cheese :-D) but don’t have any real immediate source of raw milk. I did see, a few weeks ago, a potential source, but it’s 1+ hours from my home. I do have a couple of good cheese shops near me, so I don’t know if it’s worth the time and effort, but I try to be a diy guy...

21 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

Looks cool! I’ve been debating about dipping my toe into cheese making (figuratively, no one likes toe cheese :-D) but don’t have any real immediate source of raw milk. I did see, a few weeks ago, a potential source, but it’s 1+ hours from my home. I do have a couple of good cheese shops near me, so I don’t know if it’s worth the time and effort, but I try to be a diy guy...

I have access to cheese boutique shops for an amazing variety of cheeses from all over the world and I don't expect this to compare to any of them.  I do like to cook and learn so I take on these little projects for that exact purpose.

You can make perfectly good cheese from regular pasteurized milk from the store as long as it isn't ultra pasteurized.  That makes it easy and affordable to start with a simple cheese like queso fresco  and from there mozzarella.  From there a hard pressed cheese.

Try it, nothing special needed to get started beyond what I bet you already have.  I do use citric acid powder instead of lemon juice for some recipes but it is not required, even vinegar can be used.  Search youtube. 

yumm yumm yumm .. it is the waiting that is the tough part!   I still every now and then do some of the simple cheese you  had posted over the years.

Since you have to wait on your nicely aged product,  you should try my New Orleans Creole Cream Cheese to tide you over, by itself or in a homemade ice cream. See this link for the cream cheese and the ice cream recipes.