jpp

feedback on dojoe

hi everyone

Just wanted to give you a feedback on my experience so far with the dojoe (on kamado big joe)

i have a very mixed feeling with this accessory. i am loving all others kamado accessories however

From access to the center of stone (very small opening), temperature control (most of the time below my required temperature (i like to cook pizza close to 700deg f) ) and the impossibility to cool down the charcoal for a next cook (you cannot close the dome until it cool down completely) i have very negative feelings about this product.

But the most annoying thing for me is the charcoal consumption to reach an acceptable temperature...it is just unbelievable  the amount of charcoal you need to put inside the kamado just to cook couple of pizzas

i have made a quick calculation and i would reimburse almost a dedicated pizza oven (like ooni pro) in less than 10-15 cooks only vs the amount of charcoal i am putting right now 

i have made several trials (almost 7) and my conclusion is simple: i will stop cooking with the dojoe and invest in a dedicated pizza oven...i gave up... and i can tell you it does require a lot for me the give up something i invested 300usd

could be good to share your feedback on this product. maybe i raised my expectations to high :)

Aldi are releasing their $49 Pizza oven (16" x 14") again this year. Should work well on a Kamado plus you can easily lift it off after cooking to preserve charcoal:

aldi-pizza-oven111-960x480.thumb.jpg.b19ebc56482dbf311efed3c3ba5765fb.jpg

I have the DoJoe as well but I have a very different opinion. To me, I think it's a fun accessory to use. If I wanted to crank out pizzas all the time I'd have a dedicated pizza oven as you state. But, for having another couple over and doing a DIY pizza night this thing has been a hit. It pretty much sets itself up at 600 degrees and using the recipe for dough provided, it makes great authentic Italian pizza dough. I can usually get 4-6 12-14" pizzas before it starts to cool off. It does burn some fuel but honestly I use my KJ sometimes just to get to 900 degrees to sear a steak and that burns a ton of fuel. These things are like a swiss army knife, not spectacular at any one thing but the most versatile tool for cooking outdoors you could have. 

yes it is definitely a fun accessory to use. it is well made and quite impressive on when it sit on the big joe.Obviously it cooks good pizzas if you like the 600f temp mark. 

however as mentioned it consume  so much fuel that i am questioning the price tag you pay for it. Personnaly i would advise to invest in a dedicated pizza oven and use your kamado for what it does best. You will enjoy same fun (if not better), ability to produce different pizza style (napolitean), be able to prepare a side cook on the kamado while cooking pizza’s  (why not smoked chicken wings mmmh) and pay less overtime...thats my personnal conclusion.

Ok

i had another try with the dojoe today

i have put a full bag of charcoal, took 30-40

min to reach 700-750 f and stay at that temperature for 40-50 min.

excellent result for napoletan pizza, nice crust, nice wooden taste, 2 min cooking.

i would say that for that even it is not (at all)  fuel efficient, but  the results are there.

kids and wife enjoyed

27EA24CA-CD18-4104-9E38-EF20E20C8D3C.thumb.jpeg.5e941d77e74e19cb7fe63df22c2c742f.jpeg

B87384C3-D21E-4171-9BB4-A7AD8CD0FFB4.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Casey
      I have an opportunity to buy a Monolith classic (by size, pretty sure it isn't Le Chef) and looking for opinions on both the grill itself and whether it's a good price. About 1 year old, in good condition, with stones/grates, a CyberQ Cloud controller, and a table built by the owner. Unsure how well the control fan works (I couldn't get it to start with the CyberQ just fiddling around without lighting coals, and the owner said they never really figured it out). I've worked the seller down from $1575 to $1100 for everything, no tax, I pick it up myself. 

1. What do you think about this brand and model? An established German company but only in the US market a few years without much penetration yet. Made in China, maybe at the KJ factory? 
      2. Is this a fair price, or should I try to work lower? I had planned to go with either the Ceramic Akorn or Grilla Kong at lower prices (without table), but is this worth spending a little extra?

Thanks.
      caseymcmillan@hotmail.com

• By Jeirinlo
      Kamado Joe Classic I for sale, 4 years old, used condition, has crack on firebox (as probably all used Kamados) but that doesn’t affect the cooking. NEVER used lighter fluid always used high quality chips / charcoal

UPDATES:
      Wheels replaced last week
      Gasket replaced last week
      Back springs replaced 2 weeks ago (now the lid won’t fall by accident!)

INCLUDES:
      Cast iron cart
      Finished Folding HDPE Side Shelves
      Cover
      3 deflector plates
      2 half-moon stainless steel grate
      1 grate/grill lifter
      1 ash poker
      1 accessory rack
      1 flexible cooking rack
      1 pizza stone
      1 soapstone
      1 grilling glove

Asking for $550 OBO.
      Pick up at North Miami Beach (33162), can deliver to Miami-Dade/Broward for a fee

• By buckleybj
      I have been seeing whole fish at Costco for some time now so I decided to give it a go. I bought some snapper for diner last night and was blown away by the results.

I watched Mr. Setzler's video on grilling a whole fish as a guide along with some recipes I found on the interwebs.

2 snappers gutted and cleaned (got mine from Costco as I said previously) Cut crosshatch slits on both sides of the fish (next time I will just do horizontal slits for easier removal of skin) Seasoned with garlic rosemary seasoning Salted with a few pinches of kosher salt Spritzed with olive oil generously on each side Stuffed cavity with fresh rosemary, thyme and dill from the garden Sprinkled lime juice to finish off  
      Using the Big Joe, I lit just one side and set the fish for direct at the highest level grate. I used a fish\veggie tray to keep the fish from falling apart.
      I had the temp at around 300-325 and grilled each side for 9 minutes until the inter temp as around 140.

The flavor was amazing! I don't think I would have the intense herb flavors if I had just cooked fillets but I will be trying that in the future.

I served the fish with some leftover bulgur pilaf and a spinach berry salad.

I have never had snapper before that I can remember but I am now a huge fan!! 

• By Chap Swinson
      Bbqube temperature controller.  Like new.  Used once or twice.  $80 plus cost of shipping.  PM if interested.  South Carolina.  

• By Dave Bradfute
      I'm gonna do some baby backs this weekend and would like to hear some opinions. 

1. Temp. I'm thinking low and slow at about 225 to 250
      2. Time - wrapped vs. unwrapped. 5 1/2 hours ish?

I used to do mine in a pellet with the 3-2-1 method, although for BB's I did 3-1-.5.

Let me hear your methods and why.