Essential Woods

Hello All,

I'm new to kamados and the forum (already introduced myself). I just used the Joetisserie for my first cook, chicken, and it was awesome...a whole new kind of flavor, which brings me to my question: Are there any woods that are must haves for smoking certain things? For reference, I can get cherry, apple, pecan, hickory and mesquite locally (unless someone cuts down a tree of a different species). But I've read many find alder to be THE wood for smoking salmon. Others say fruit wood is just as good. So is there any major flavor of the smoking palette I'd be missing out on or is it one of those things where you can get at least 95% of the way there with what's at hand?  Thanks for your attention.

I will rank the woods you listed in order of preference (this is a broad generalization)  #1 Apple #2 Cherry #3 Pecan #4 Mesquite and #5 Hickory.  I will add Almond as a tie with pecan, but you can only find it when someone is tearing out a almond orchard.  All of those woods need to be tailored to whatever you are smoking, so be prepared to learn from you mistakes- and by "mistake" I mean you saying "That could be better".  And yes, alder and salmon (or especially steelhead) are a perfect match for a bit of smoke.

And for your 95%?  The woods you listed cover 100% of everything I need when I smoke.  And when I bought my Joe my wife told her friends "My husband started smoking again".

11 hours ago, veryzer said:

Hello All,

I'm new to kamados and the forum (already introduced myself). I just used the Joetisserie for my first cook, chicken, and it was awesome...a whole new kind of flavor, which brings me to my question: Are there any woods that are must haves for smoking certain things? For reference, I can get cherry, apple, pecan, hickory and mesquite locally (unless someone cuts down a tree of a different species). But I've read many find alder to be THE wood for smoking salmon. Others say fruit wood is just as good. So is there any major flavor of the smoking palette I'd be missing out on or is it one of those things where you can get at least 95% of the way there with what's at hand?  Thanks for your attention.

Your list of woods available locally for smoking is the same as what I have locally. I found a site that sells smoking wood. I ordered some peach, grape, and olive wood from them to use in smoking. I really liked the olive.

https://sharpegourmet.com/t/wood-chunks

20 minutes ago, Team PCBeach said:

I am a big fan of Peach for pork butt.  I usually mix it with Hickory.  My problem is I am unable to source chunks locally.

Right, that's the reason for my question. I did see the supplier, Sharpe, that Golf Griller referenced. With shipping added, though, it comes to $22 a bag which is a little rich for my blood. But if a species they have provides inimitable flavor for something I'm likely to cook, I'd pony up the money. (They have peach.)