social assassin

How Can I Tell if My iKamand is Version 2?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me how I determine if I received version 2 of the iKamand.  I just received it in 3/30/20 directly from KJ and used it for the first time today.  I updated the software to V 1.0.54.  I experienced several problems during my attempt to smoke a pork shoulder.  First, three times it over shot the temp I set in the app by an average of 11%.  Then the app notified me that the pork was at my target temp of 203.  I then used my Therma-Pop thermometer to confirm and found that the roast was only 185 - 187 in four different areas.  Obviously way off my target.  All this is why I’m concerned that they shipped me version 1 of the iKamand.

I would appreciate any help you all can provide.

Take Care & Stay Safe!

Pablo

On 4/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, social assassin said:

I would appreciate any help you all can provide.

Take Care & Stay Safe!

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

The version 2 does not have a metal vent slide for adjusting idol air flow, it has been replaced with a flap over the fan.

This should easily tell you which version you have.

Corey..

On 5/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, CoreyKnogg said:

The version 2 does not have a metal vent slide for adjusting idol air flow, it has been replaced with a flap over the fan.

Thanks Corey for posting that...after watching @John Setzler's videos on the iKamand, I thought I got a defective unit and emailed KJ tech support.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:08 AM, Dobro Dane said:

Thanks Corey for posting that...after watching @John Setzler's videos on the iKamand, I thought I got a defective unit and emailed KJ tech support.

You're welcome, hope it's settled for you.

18 hours ago, CoreyKnogg said:

You're welcome, hope it's settled for you.

I still have a problem...I can't get the food probe to register on the iKamand, and I keep getting the error message "probes not inserted correctly" even though they are fully inserted. As a technical writer, I have to say that the manual that comes with the unit is pretty lame.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, Dobro Dane said:

I still have a problem...I can't get the food probe to register on the iKamand, and I keep getting the error message "probes not inserted correctly" even though they are fully inserted. As a technical writer, I have to say that the manual that comes with the unit is pretty lame.

I have had issues with the probes and the same error message.  I was able to get KJ to replace them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Charcoal Addict
      I’m finally pulled the trigger & bought an IKamand.   I feel KJ worked out all of the major kinks.  I’m also getting weary of the bit and piece involved in the CyberQ Wifi. 

It was time to make the plunge.  I was a little disappointed that you can’t buy food probes separately from the grill probe.  I guess the worst case scenario is having a back-up for a failed grate probe if one fails. 

It feels like a strange omit not to sell separate food probes.  The IKamand should arrive sometime this week.
    • By dathzo
      Hi all,

I have lately been researching about temperature controllers for Kamados. Several alternatives are out there and each of them have their fan base. A lot of the information available is based on feeling and intuition, which is great. However, I miss a repository of information based on factual data of the controller's performance provided by users. This is the intention of this thread and hopefully, it will serve to educate the audience, firstly on how to make the choice when buying a temperature controller and secondly how to best use them.

I have put together a set of questions for the people to answer that will help fellow BBQers immersed into the temperature controllers world.

Thank you all in advance for supporting this research project!

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?
      2. What temperature controller do you have?
      3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)
      4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)
      5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over
      6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output
      7. What do you love about your controller?
      8. What would you improve about your controller?
      9. Anything else you want to share
      10. And last but not least, share pictures of your cook 
    • By social assassin
      This past weekend I attempted my first cook of baby back ribs on my new Kamado Joe Classic II.  I read on this forum that the 2-2-1 cooking method was the best option but my ribs came out dry.  I would say that half of my 2 slabs were too dry.  I used the EasyBBQ thermometer to monitor the temperature and the rib meat got to a temp of 212 and I was able to keep grill temp between 250 to 280 degrees.  What did I do wrong?  Is the rib temp of 212 too high?  Were my grill temps too high?  Also, I did use the deflector plates to produce indirect heat.  I would appreciate any feedback or tips.  Thanks.

SA

• By BigJoeOC
      I always build my fire and let the Big Joe stabilize at my target temperature before I let the iKamand take over. Anyone put in a fire cube get the coal hot then let the iKamand take over from there? I never do this because I'm afraid of overshooting my target temperature. Sure would be nice to light a starter cube then let the iKamand take control from there.
    • By Jkomodo
      Struggling with this one... I love using my Kamado for low & slow cooks however with two young kids I struggle to find the time.  I’m trying to determine the best approach for a “set it & forget it” option. I am looking to either purchase a temp controller such as an iKamand that I will have to figure out how to rig to my old school Kamado Co. or just bite the bullet and purchase a pellet smoker.  The way I see it, one of these controller’s is going to run me $250. Maybe I’m better off dropping another few hundred and getting a pellet set up considering the application will be primarily for low & slow smoking.   Any suggestions on the preferred option?  If you’re leaning towards the pellet smoker option, any recommendations?  My top 3 based solely on internet research is Rec Tec, Traeger and Grilla.  Thanks for your feedback! -J