First cook

First ever cook on a KJ.

Spatchcocked a whole chicken and slow cooked it at 225 Fahrenheit for four hours before roasting at 375/400 Fahrenheit for a half hour. 

Dry brined overnight then washed clean in morning and left to air dry in fridge. Then spice rubbed before finished off with a cherry glaze for last half hour. 

I had some issues at the beginning, my temp jumped up beyond 300 within seconds after using a fire chimney but I had time and so got it back down to the right temp and then had control pretty much from there. Took me about 1.5 hours to feel comfortable that I had it back down and stable. 

probably up there with best chicken I’ve had tbh but lots of room for improvement. I failed miserably on the sweet potatoes. Had it in a baking dish below acting as a drip tray so it could soak up the chicken fat but the bottoms were very burnt by the end making it inedible. I could cut off the tops and they were great but the bottoms were ruined. Any tips? Turn it or just put it in later? 

cheers

6EA43CB9-F121-4A76-805C-55ABDD64FB38.jpeg

A5AF2F4E-CAA3-4DD3-8BF9-8A7B0931F762.jpeg

B61B042E-FA3C-49B9-A834-4D38313B2CDB.jpeg

A2064AF6-D325-4C18-8950-16FB8E565A6E.jpeg

27510BC2-BFD2-4204-BB3E-B7901D07EF38.jpeg

9AA1C315-7FB7-4B38-9CBE-D54C9C888D66.jpeg

99B42078-948A-482E-A3A8-246816D0066F.jpeg

C1C3AC94-6179-4871-A86D-89F3D216B453.jpeg

BC512FC6-75B4-45A4-A991-6653A5811ED2.jpeg

45CD68DE-61C6-417C-98D2-97259EEB20EA.jpeg

Where's the other drumstick? 

Just curious. 

Seems like a good idea to put the sweet potatoes in later. Maybe catch the drippings for a while and put the sweet potatoes in for the last hour, or less. 

I have been foiling sweet and regular potatoes and the sweet ones take a lot less time to cook. I think the whole thing carmelizes or something. YUMMY! 

That cook looks great! I don't seek out cherry flavors but I bet that tastes fantastic! Very inventive glaze. Please post the recipe. Curiosity and all, u know. 

Thanks for all the pics! You have a nice set-up! 

Starting a fire for low and slow in a chimney is a recipe for disaster, try the cotton ball and alcohol method.  Keep your deflectors in for low and slow and get some copper "tees" (plumbing parts) to elevate your drip pan above the deflector.  For a first cook that looks pretty good!

@inarngr - the other drumstick is there. One is splayed out and the other is tucked in. The shadow in the photo is hiding it slightly. 

I did see the recommendation to lift the pan up using tinfoil or plumbing parts, particularly for cooking pizza. it was resting on the black plate that comes with the slo roller. I will give that a go next time plus cook for shorter. My only concern with putting it in later was opening the bbq and stuffing the temperature that I worked so hard to get.  

Here is the link to the recipe I found online https://heygrillhey.com/spatchcock-smoked-chicken-cherry-chipotle-bbq-sauce/

It has links to the spice rub and cherry sauce too. The sauce is outstanding. I highly Recommend giving it a go. 

On 4/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, daninpd said:

Starting a fire for low and slow in a chimney is a recipe for disaster, try the cotton ball and alcohol method.  Keep your deflectors in for low and slow and get some copper "tees" (plumbing parts) to elevate your drip pan above the deflector.  For a first cook that looks pretty good!

^^^^^^ This.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:51 AM, daninpd said:

Starting a fire for low and slow in a chimney is a recipe for disaster, try the cotton ball and alcohol method.  Keep your deflectors in for low and slow and get some copper "tees" (plumbing parts) to elevate your drip pan above the deflector.  For a first cook that looks pretty good!

^^^^^^ This.

•  

Yah! 

I got half inch copper elbows. 

Tees seem like a good idea. 

I would like to join them together in a little framework but haven't gotten around to it.