Broken heat deflector...on 4th use?

ThomasinFrance

Hi everyone,

I have a new Classic II and I'm loving it.

Today I'm applewood smoking a pork butt. As I was putting in the ceramic heat deflectors, one of them cracked and a piece about 3" x 4" just broke off. I was surprised, to say the least, I've been babying these things!

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a common problem?

Your thoughts?

Thanks much, TM

It happened to me shortly after purchasing my Classic II. Filed a warranty claim with KJ. They had me send some pictures to prove I hadn't dropped the whole grill or something extreme like that and then sent 2 new half deflectors (I only needed one). Going on 18 months now and no issues, plus I have a spare half-deflector if needed.

Just speculation on my part but since those are the ceramic pieces that move around the most any tiny flaw is going to be magnified.

Daniel

Had one crack after 9 months KJ sent 2 replacements. While waiting i was brushing off one grate and as i was looking at the deflector it just cracked. The plate had a dark area on the crack so i'm assuming it had a flaw or partial crack for a while.  

• 2 months later...

I just had this happen too.  I did a cook 2 days ago, came out to do another today and found one deflector in the grill cracked in 1/2.  I just bought them about 6 weeks ago and did about 12-15 cooks.  I dropped one before and the pieces looked like new ceramic.  This time, the insides of the cracks are discolored/burnt which seems odd. 

Just got a replacement set... 2 years on the first pair. Took a month, but I can't complain under warranty. 

Discolored cracks just mean the cracks were there for a while before it broke. When you drop them, all bets are off.  

Stay well,

Frank

I have had my Big Joe for 6 years, My Classic and Jr for 4 years and the only one that cracked was my Jr and that was my fault, What I do is use a drip pan to minimize the amount of grease hitting them and I also flip them each cook and most importantly I store them in the grill to prevent any chance of moister hitting them 

• 4 weeks later...

One of my half moon deflectors cracked during a cook. I contacted KJ support and this is the reply I received:

Dear Masterbuilt Customer,                                                                                                 

We have received your support request. We are only assisting customers who are still within their warranty claim, and you indicated that your unit was purchased in 2017 or before. Your warranty expired after 1 year from the date of purchase. We will be closing your request based on the information provided.

However, we have added a variety of resources to our website that may help you: 

All available parts are now listed on our website, and as additional parts become available, they will be added. If we have it, it will be listed.  We have added 200+ parts recently – search by model number here: https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/support

You must use the web cart in order to purchase products. Customer Support does not have the ability to process payments. If you are not able to locate the part you are in need of on our website, you can visit popular sites such as appliancefactoryparts.com, for their availability.

No listing for Kamado Joe parts though. 

I was under the impression KJ warranted these ceramics for three years? I bought mine on 23rd October 2017. Anyone else I can contact?

@Heuer

https://www.kamadojoe.com/pages/warranty

It's warrantied for 3 years. I would open a new claim for your warranty and indicate in that claim that this part is warrantied for three years and provide them with this link as well.  Customer service at Masterbuilt/Kamado Joe appears to be under the control of aliens who do not understand the product and don't know what the actual warranty is these days.  It's a sad situation and it doesn't appear to be getting any better...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying for 3 weeks now to get a response from Kamado Joe UK about my broken heat deflector (for Big Joe III purchased last October).  I filled in the online form twice, nothing....3 emails to service.uk@kamadojoe.com but no response.  Any suggestions?