JeffieBoy

Covidian Sourdough Starter

Well, I am feeling pretty cooped up here with this self isolation thing going on.  Three days ago, I decided to see if I can figure out a passable Sourdough loaf on the Akorn.  Well,  today is my second feeding of my “Covidian Sourdough Starter” and low and behold the bubbling has begun!  Just since this morning the volume has increased a bit and fingers crossed in two days I will be able to toss a loaf onto the stone.

I have been looking for a good, simple recipe that clearly indicates how much of the starter to use, but so far am still a little confused.  If you have any tips or recipes - my ears are open!  Let me know!

AA702A9E-9A6A-40B4-B6AA-9FCEB43A8EE8.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Typically you would use 29% of ripe firm (50% hydration levin) to weight of flour in final dough of recipe or If using 125% hydration ripe levin you would use 40% by weight in final dough of recipe but water would be reduced to have final hydration of dough you desire. This is what I do for the levin recipes I have been making, not sure yet on sourdough ryes yet because I won’t be on sourdough ryes for  few more months.   

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

Okay, so now I just need to figure out the hydration percentage...

Everything is based on weight of flour.     Example 100g of flour,   60 g water would make hydration 60%, if 1.8g salt used in recipe that would be 1.8 % salt.   I included screen shot of 1kg scale based on Vermont Sourdough with increased whole grain recipe in book “Bread” a Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes 2nd edition by Jeffrey Hamelman.   Original scales in book for this recipe 16.69 kg , home scale 3lbs, 5.4 oz. 

76AD6F3F-AD52-44A3-97FF-B94906B66292.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice
Edited to show example of baker’s percent.

looks like a large tub of starter, but may just be the camera angle?

Tartine Country Loaf and The Perfect Loaf's Beginner Sourdough Bread are two great breads.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, Chris Topher said:

looks like a large tub of starter, but may just be the camera angle?

This is a flat, fairly shallow tub about 6x9x3” deep.  I gave up on it when it didn’t simply start to smell funky, but the black liquor formed on top and stank the house out ( about five days in).

On 4/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

I am going to name my starter YUNG STAY HOME.   

My sister’s son has an excellent starter that he has maintained for several years.  He lives in Toronto and named his after a Raptor’s player (forget who).  Anyhow, my sister wanted some, so he divided his up and delivered it to her new place - out here, west of the city.  Since it was around around the time of Kawhi Leonard’s departure from Toronto, and since it was smaller than he is, the container was marked “Little Kawhi”.