Pizza Cook on Akorn

levic900rr

Had some left over Pulled Pork from a cook earlier in the week so I whipped up a BBQ pork, sweet potato, and red onion pizza over the weekend. I used a store bought crust that was in the freezer, next time I'm going to go home made. 

The directions for the crust called for 450 degrees for 10ish minutes, I tossed it on the stone around 650 dome temp and 4.5 mins later it looked like this. 

Only SMALL critique I had was the bottom of the crust didn't crisp up as well as I'd like. I think its because I used parchment paper to slide it off the peel. And I roasted the onion with the potato before cooking the pizza and they got a little charred on the grill, didn't ruin it at all but lost a little of the onion flavor. Luckily the potato's soaked a bit of that up. 

image.thumb.png.2cd37f6a24c363ef83589e4f055d7358.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am hooked on this process now... I was able to yank the parchment after 1 min and it really helped my crust crisp up. I used up my last store bought crust so its home made from here on out. It tasted so amazing.

I also grabbed a stainless grate off amazon so I dont burn off my cast iron when doing Pizza

image.thumb.png.0fc86b938d18787f6bf6656bf99ecc60.png

image.thumb.png.c47c498ae2677736e7729bc74486e494.png

15 hours ago, levic900rr said:

I also grabbed a stainless grate off amazon so I dont burn off my cast iron when doing Pizza

I'm glad you mentioned that. I noticed how clean it was and was starting to feel ashamed of what mine usually looks like!

Great looking pizzas,  btw.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:15 AM, levic900rr said:

“I used a store bought crust that was in the freezer, next time I'm going to go home made.”

If you are in a hurry some night and want a pizza, check out your bakery department.  They often have fresh dough balls in a bag that you simply turn out, roll out, load and bake.  Usually pretty good quality and quick.

4 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

If you are in a hurry some night and want a pizza, check out your bakery department.  They often have fresh dough balls in a bag that you simply turn out, roll out, load and bake.  Usually pretty good quality and quick.

local pizzarias will usually sell you dough balls for a few bucks

• 3 weeks later...

Another successful cook on the Akorn last night. One interesting thing is I got my first box of KJ charcoal and it was REALLY smoky, and not a great smoke flavor either... it almost had a lighter fluid twinge to it, very weird. I even let it burn for a quite a while as I was waiting for the smoke to clear up. I'm not sure I want to use this stuff. I got a good deal on it from Amazon so I'll figured I'd give it a shot. 

image.thumb.png.fa08374c3774bcea7a21e746a93bbc48.png