St Louis Style Ribs

I wanted to see if I could get some help with cooking pork ribs with the 3-2-1 method.  Although I have done this in the past with great results, this past weekend I tried cooking two racks and when I got them out of the foil the ribs were shinny black and chard.  I seasoned my ribs overnight with my usual dry rub and raw sugar.  After the first 3 hours on the Joe @ 225 deg. I placed them in double foil with butter, brown sugar, honey, and a little grape juice.  After leaving them on the Joe for 2 hours completely sealed @ 225 deg., when I got them out they were black. 

Any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent this?  As I said, I have tried this same  method before and the ribs have come out perfectly.  Not sure what caused them to get black this time since the temp never got above 225-230 deg. during the entire process.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ruben.

ribs2 (2).jpg

ribs3 (3).jpg

ribs (3).jpg

That’s a bit strange, if they were sealed in a moist environment they shouldn’t have been able to get to a high enough temp that would burn sugar...

did they taste burnt?

were the foil packs dry when you unwrapped them?

I’d care more about how they taste than how they look. 

I often wrap with sugar and honey. However I don’t put any significant amount of sugar in my rub or add juice to the wrap if I’m already adding butter and honey. 

Sounds good.  Thank you for the comments.  I will try another batch this weekend without adding sugar to the rub and I will also leave the sugar out once I foil the ribs.

Thanks again!

Just my $0.02 did you by any chance put them meat side down after wrapping ? This would put the sugary stuff on the bottom closest to the deflector plate,  which might be hotter then the dome temp ,just a possibility . When i make my rub i use turbinado sugar i believe it has a higher burn temp. If you used this method before than it probably is something different  you did and didn't notice.

Agree with the temps, for that to happen I think your cooker was too hot.  You can put as much sugar as you want on them but unless the temperature reaches a certain point, it won't char.  Also, you definitely want some sugar, so don't leave it out!

Check out this recent vid from Malcom.  He's using a different cooker but that shouldn't matter, just don't need to do all the rotating and 2-zone stuff.  Just get a feel for the cook time, technique, and temperatures.