KJ Classic 3 control vent closes when I open the lid

Boots

I am having an issue with the control tower closing on me when I open the dome.   I am referring to main top, not the dial.  I just bought the grill a few weeks ago and have only done a few cooks so far.  This is the first one where I was running a higher temp and was using the main control swivel instead of the dial.  I tried tightening the Allen head screw, but it is already quite tight.  I am afraid that I would either strip or snap the screw if I put any more torque on it.  Is this common with the KJCIII?

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I jsut pull the center piece out of the Kontrol Tower and don't try to swing it to the side.

Same 

My top gasket is so loose that if i try to open the grill with the vent open it falls off anyway 

On 4/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, John Setzler said:

I jsut pull the center piece out of the Kontrol Tower and don't try to swing it to the side.

Thanks for the reply John. 

Maybe I am doing it wrong as I am still quite new to this.  What I was trying to do was crack open the main control tower about a quarter or so.  I didn't want to have it at full throttle.  It may be that I needed more charcoal and then the control wheel would have handled it at 600 degrees without the need to open the main tower.

38 minutes ago, Boots said:

Thanks for the reply John. 

Maybe I am doing it wrong as I am still quite new to this.  What I was trying to do was crack open the main control tower about a quarter or so.  I didn't want to have it at full throttle.  It may be that I needed more charcoal and then the control wheel would have handled it at 600 degrees without the need to open the main tower.

You can get 600 with the slider fully open...... I think I posted a sticky post in the kj section how to do that...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KJKiley
      I credit this recipe to one of our good friends from our time together in Seoul.

Dough
      2 packages active dry yeast
      1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
      2/3 cup sugar, PLUS 1 tsp
      1 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees F)
      2/3 cup salted butter –melted PLUS extra to coat bowl
      2 eggs slightly beaten
      7 cups flour plus extra for rolling on

Filling
      1 ½ cup butter divided, ¾ cup melted, ¾ cup room temp
      1 ¾ cup brown sugar plus 4 tbsp
      3 tbsp cinnamon (the best you can find)
      1 ½ cups chopped pecans (optional)
      1 cup raisins (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting
      4 oz cream cheese
      ¼ cup butter
      ½ tsp vanilla
      ½ tbsp milk
      1 ½ cup powdered sugar (sifted to ensure no lumps)

Directions

In a small bowl mix together warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp sugar and set aside. In a large mixing bowl mix milk, 2/3 cup sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs, stir well then add your yeast mixture.  Add ½ the flour and beat until smooth, then add the rest of the flour ½ cup at a time until well incorporated.  Dough will be sticky.  Knead for about 7 minutes, then place in a well buttered glass bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size for about 1 ½ hours.  When doubled, punch down dough and let it rest for another 5 minutes.

After you wait the 5 minutes, roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/8 to ¼ inch; roll into a rectangle.

Filling directions:

Spread ¾ cup melted butter on dough. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over buttered dough.  Sprinkle with pecans and raisins if desired. 

Roll up jelly style; cut into 20-24 slices.  Coat the bottom of two, 9x13 pans with remaining butter.  Sprinkle 2 tbsp (for each pan - 4 tbsp total) brown sugar on top of butter. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pans, then put them in a warm spot and WAIT 45 minutes or so for them to double in size.

I fired up the Joe 3 at this point (was actually holding it at 250 from an earlier cook, so I just opened it up a bit).

Bake for 35-40 minutes until rolls are nicely browned.  Cool rolls slightly before you frost.

The cook was a bit of a challenge as a gale force winds and sideways rain rolled in as I was about to get started, but I managed to get everything on without getting it all soaked.  Though I did have to adjust the Fireboard set up since I have no desire to find out exactly how water resistant it is.

Frosting
      Cream together cream cheese and butter.  Add vanilla and milk until incorporated.  Add powdered sugar ½  cup at a time.

Frost slightly cooled rolls.

All in all a successful and tasty cook, and they were devoured here at home and the next day at the office.
      Trish’s Cinnamon Rolls (1).docx