Reef's Camp Cooking 3-2-20 to 3-5-20

ckreef

The Govener basically locked down the state which canceled our camping plans for this past weekend. Having already taken off work me and Mrs skreef wasn't going to let that ruin the fun. So we setup our own campsite. 

campsite1.thumb.jpg.16b9c4339dca4091e2186c69d554c400.jpg

campsite2.thumb.jpg.b417c11ada8dc4c38c37847216f3e8f2.jpg

Sitting under the awning this is the view we get. 

campsite3.thumb.jpg.943207dd66066ab9fc22cc79549e8fc3.jpg

Enjoyed the fire pit. Walked to a nearby private pond for a little fishing. 

ssb1.thumb.jpg.a0560763f455343a99c16ab6f69bd5d9.jpg

npp1.thumb.jpg.78acf9d440d82efb8c3edcde91fb6ce7.jpg

17bass2lbA.thumb.jpg.79961647f1a8218d1b71388f754768a9.jpg

And of course some camp cooking on the CampChef. A couple different breakfasts. Bacon and pancakes. Sausage and French toast made with homemade bread from Mrs skreef. 

rcc2b1.thumb.jpg.653ffbf8488a7e5c96ace637481920b4.jpg

Grilled cabbage marinated with a balsamic vinaigrette homemade from 18 year old balsamic vinegar. 

rccgc2.thumb.jpg.db7059b0cefc3de96bcfa1093f403f08.jpg

Corn risotto and chicken thigh parts. 

rcccrct1.thumb.jpg.ba131ba76240f1f25432fd092a025dea.jpg

A beef stroganoff type dish along with a personal Pan cookie. 

rccbs1.thumb.jpg.119cc11db2cac917aaa1a7a8b83c4c52.jpg

rccfoc1.thumb.jpg.a52cdba00a2ac99ac6d6dac19a479e5f.jpg

And lastly a sweet Sunday breakfast. Peach Slump made from the last of my frozen peaches from last summer. 

Yup not a bad weekend for camping in the backyard. 

rccpsa1.thumb.jpg.5671fb2441c6ff9a2e3cdab8f4b9430b.jpg

rccps2a.thumb.jpg.f0c2dff0756dc9bb37f90cc65851c699.jpg

2 hours ago, O C said:

I like the way you camp!

It should only get better as time goes on. Have a river front site reserved for memorial weekend. Hopefully we'll be a go by then B)

A new level of camping in the backyard.  Very fun and great chance to get the "things" out and use them.  I almost wish instead of building a small vacation home in the mountains we had built an RV "docking station" in the mountains.  All of the food looks great, glad you all had fun!  I personally liked the way the stroganoff type dish looked, comfort food for me.  I recently finished a few major projects and have the go for a camper build, that's going to be epic.

8 hours ago, philpom said:

A new level of camping in the backyard.  Very fun and great chance to get the "things" out and use them.  I almost wish instead of building a small vacation home in the mountains we had built an RV "docking station" in the mountains.  All of the food looks great, glad you all had fun!  I personally liked the way the stroganoff type dish looked, comfort food for me.  I recently finished a few major projects and have the go for a camper build, that's going to be epic.

I really wanted to get some time on the CampChef. It has really huge burners so there is a small learning curve to not burn things up while cooking. I've done that homemade stroganoff idea a few times and have defiantly gotten better with it. It's now in fairly regular rotation at the house. I joke about it being Hamburger Helper without the Helper. 

This RV idea actually started with the idea of buying a small plot of land up in the mountains. Maybe one day we'll get back to the original idea. 

If you do a camper build definitely post some progress pictures. I would love to see them. 

You will rapidly become every campground you end up in, most favorite neighbor once things get back to somewhat normal.

I rolled into a campground in Bedford Pa once and a “DOG” aka a Dutch Oven Group/Gathering broke out. Over 30 people commenced to cooking. Great for eating and camaraderie not so much the waist line.

Your food looks incredible in those shots.

Thank God that there was two of you there to eat that!  As a single portion that would leave me full.

And as for the Bass, a big head and a small body tells me it's undernourished.  You need to add a food source to that pond.  Then you'll have some real trophies.   Nice catch though.  We cant target Bass until the end of June in Ontario.

2 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

Thank God that there was two of you there to eat that!  As a single portion that would leave me full.

And as for the Bass, a big head and a small body tells me it's undernourished.  You need to add a food source to that pond.  Then you'll have some real trophies.   Nice catch though.  We cant target Bass until the end of June in Ontario.

There was actually 3 of us as my son's college closed down for the rest of the semester finishing off with on-line classes. Yea he eats as much as me and Mrs skreef combined. 

We too thought the bass was a little skinny but it's not our pond. Caught 4 bass and 6 crappie. Threw 7 of them back. 

10 hours ago, Vanole said:

You will rapidly become every campground you end up in, most favorite neighbor once things get back to somewhat normal.

I rolled into a campground in Bedford Pa once and a “DOG” aka a Dutch Oven Group/Gathering broke out. Over 30 people commenced to cooking. Great for eating and camaraderie not so much the waist line.

Your food looks incredible in those shots.

Trying to ramp up to some really spectacular camp cooks. Hopefully things will eventually get back to almost normal. (not sure it'll ever be truly normal again). 

8 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Honestly you could rent that out for a couples weekend for about 200 to 250.00 a night right in your backyard laid out just as you have it with the promise of some good fishing!

Scott

The owner of the pond is really picky about who he let's fish it. Mainly relatives and one or two neighbors like me. This came with an understanding I would never take anyone else except me, Mrs skreef and Hawke.