What's the best grill cleaning brush?

I can't find any other threads on this. I want to buy a long-handled grill brush...what's your fave for effectiveness and longevity?

I favor a wood handle for durability and at least 18 inches long.

You need a quality one because the wires can break or drop off, potentially getting onto the food. Worst for shedding are the cheap spiral wound ones. I use a Weber wood handle but over time the front wears faster then the back especially if you use it on a flat griddle.

I am currently trying a Weber spiral wound and it seems to be holding up well.

I've been using a nylon grill brush for the Akorn for a while now and pretty happy with it. Just have to remember not to use it when the grill is hot :) I'll occasionally use a flat metal scraper if more cleaning is needed.

For the Traeger with the round wire grate I use a wood scraper and crumpled foil.

I tried cleaning the Akorn with foil a few times when I first got it, thought 'what they hell are they talking about using foil for this' as it just shredded on the cast iron grate! Works fine on the round wires :)

On 4/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, Dobro Dane said:

I can't find any other threads on this. I want to buy a long-handled grill brush...what's your fave for effectiveness and longevity?

I favor a wood handle for durability and at least 18 inches long.

I use the standard weber / wire bristle style.  They work better than any other type of brush I have tried.  If you keep your grill grates clean you have nothing to worry about when it comes to bristles coming off and sticking.  If there is nothing on the grates for them to stick to they can't stick.  As for longevity, that varies.  I buy two of these at a time and I buy them about twice a year.  I grill more than average joe.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I use the standard weber / wire bristle style.  They work better than any other type of brush I have tried.  If you keep your grill grates clean you have nothing to worry about when it comes to bristles coming off and sticking.  If there is nothing on the grates for them to stick to they can't stick.  As for longevity, that varies.  I buy two of these at a time and I buy them about twice a year.  I grill more than average joe.

I use Weber's as well, I agree with John on keeping major crud off your grate.  If you're worried about bristles left behind, just dust the grate with a wipe with your grill towel after you brush. I also use one of those 3M maroon synthetic steel wool pads when the grate is cool, it quickly removes even baked on grease.

28 minutes ago, K_sqrd said:

I used that kind of cleaning tool on a flat top griddle when I worked in restaurants...works great for that application. I wouldn't want to use that on a grate.

12 minutes ago, prowe said:

Why?

It breaks down too fast when trying to force it to clean in between. It doesn't look like it will last anywhere near as long as a good bristle brush. The reviews say that it leaves a big mess and a grainy residue that is hard to get off the grate.

This type of product was originally designed for cleaning flat top griddles, and at that it does quite well. I suspect that the manufacturers are trying to sell more of these because few own flat tops and many own grills.

After your first trip to an emergency room to have a broken bristle removed from your throat, you will NEVER get a wire brush even close to your grates. Now nothing but nylon for me.

This one was less than a month old when it got me.                                                                                  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T95H1PE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1                    This one has served me well for nearly 2 years and still on the original head. As stated, surface must be cool.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW2Q1MY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Tenkiller Lakerat