Help! Runaway Joe

So I’m doing ribs on my joe.  Planned to do a 2-2-1 at 250.

First 2 hours went fine.  Went out and wrapped them in foil and put them back on.

I’m using a rib rack and noticed after i closed the grill back up, the temp shot up over 300.   I went back and looked and the temp probe from the Maverick was touching the rack, so i readjusted everything and put it back on ... but i still cant get it lower than 340 right now.  I don’t know if my maverick is screwed up (the dome thermometer shows much lower).

i closed down the vents really low trying to get it back down, but I don’t want to kill the fire.

if i cant get it back down, any ideas on how long to leave them on there?

Every time you open the lid, you are allowing unlimited oxygen to feed the fire and fuel.  The heat will always jump slightly afterwards, compounded with multiple openings and the length of time open.  This is why we always say: No Peaking!

You will need to almost choke it down then slowly climb it back to your target.

1 hour ago, JeffieBoy said:

Every time you open the lid, you are allowing unlimited oxygen to feed the fire and fuel.  The heat will always jump slightly afterwards, compounded with multiple openings and the length of time open.  This is why we always say: No Peaking!

You will need to almost choke it down then slowly climb it back to your target.

Thanks ... yeah, i see the err of my ways.  I left the lid up way too long messing with the maverick temp probe.  I finally got it back down after 45 minutes or so .... so it became a 2-2 cook.

lesson learned ... first cook after a couple of years away from the kamado.  I will learn!!

Well, you're most likely done with the cook by now but, to answer the last part of your question: the bend test or your preferred method of testing doneness will let you know when to pull them. 

For next time, Youtube has a ton of vidoes on reducing temps in a kamado. But, the major thing is to reduce vent settings and begin checking for doneness so that you don't overshoot.

One last note, it's interesting to read @JeffieBoy's post because, while every now and then a cook gets away from me (if I take shortcuts in my routine), the overwhelming majority of times I open the grill during a long cook, my temps fall temporarily. 

@CentralTexBBQ.  The temp drops because when you open the lid all the heat inside rises.  The replacement air now becomes fuel and then the temp rebounds.

And it's good to see that I am not the only one that messes up.

I think it depends on how long you keep the lid open: when I cook low and slow sometimes I do open the lid (for instance for a Texas crutch) but I pull the brisket out as quickly as possible, close the lid, do my thing and then after I have it wrapped I open the lid once again, put the meat back in and close the lid. Doing so never raises my temp above where it stood before I opened the lid the first time. 

But if someone left the lid open for say 10 minutes or so, well then that would be a totally different story as they would most likely end up with a roaring fire in the box and that would explain the spike in the inside temp. 

What @Red&Blue Kamado said.  When the lid is open you have lost your airflow control and given the fire plenty of oxygen.  That is why most of the electronic fan controllers have a "lid open" delay of 5-10 minutes where they don't run the fan.  This allows the fire to consume the extra oxygen before the fan kicks back in.  

As has been said in other threads, close the bottom vent before you open the lid.  This greatly reduces airflow.  If you have the lid open for longer than a couple seconds, when you close the lid close the top vent too for a few minutes to choke the fire a bit and then slowly open them back up to a stable temp.  If you don't do that and leave the vents where they were at a lower temp,  the now larger fire will increase the speed of airflow even though the vent settings are the same supporting a much higher temp.  Hope that makes sense.