Hello from Michigan!

iBarbEQue

Hey guys and gals, 

Moved from Orlando to Michigan last year. Received my KJ Classic as a wedding/house warming gift from my parents. I sold my. BGE last year - didn’t want to chance moving a ceramic cooker 1,234 miles. 

So far I am LOVING the new KJ, the cooking systems and everything about it. 

I have the new control tower (taking a chance - I know about the issues, but I already had to file a claim for my base early on and the CS has been great), the KJ half moon CI griddle/grate, and KJ charcoal basket. 

Also received an aluminum grill table for my birthday. 

My first real grill was a Bubba Keg back in the day, then 2 BGE and now the KJ. I also love griddle cooking and have had my 36” griddle for 1 year now.  I’ve got around 5 years of ceramic cooking experience but still haven’t tackled good brisket yet and plan to get a few brisket smokes this year.  Aside from that, I enjoy experimenting and trying new methods and new food more so. Looking forward to learning from the folks here, and gaining further knowledge and experience. 

Thanks for having me. 

80F7A78C-3EF5-46CC-A7B3-00FBF5A2112D.jpeg

122E05B0-2C3A-448C-84CE-5C323B12225D.jpeg

55F17CED-5281-4BB9-A6FF-573A4A6C93D0.jpeg

011D98A6-3676-4389-A03C-D42B1E98430A.jpeg

6E19D65F-CE70-4B16-A045-868AB5AE7633.jpeg

7 hours ago, Old Aviator said:

Welcome!

Nice pictures and set-up. Let us know how you like the Michigan winters.

I'm relatively new here myself but this is a great forum. Hope you enjoy it.

Winter isn't too bad. My parents are from Wisconsin and we used to visit twice a year and go ice fishing when I was growing up. I've been in some -30, -40 temps. It didn't get below freezing once all winter. 10-30 most of the year. Layered sweatshirt weather. I look forward to using the KJ during the winter - I'd burn 20# of coals if I were using a standard Weber kettle(nothing against them, personally I love them, just not in freezing temps).

Took me a month to burn through 30# of lump and I use this thing as often as I can - 3,4 days a week at least. 

On 4/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, iBarbEQue said:

Also received an aluminum grill table for my birthday.

That is very interesting. But also seems expensive, please provide more details and pics of it. 

That's a great setup! And I am totally down with you about the griddle, game-changing for me for sure. 

1 hour ago, lnarngr said:

That is very interesting. But also seems expensive, please provide more details and pics of it. 

That's a great setup! And I am totally down with you about the griddle, game-changing for me for sure. 

Picked it up for $258 shipped. 

Long story short, table needs to be modified for the KJ but it’s a nice table for the money. 

AF8D05A3-8011-4E69-BD0E-DDA47F6B10D1.jpeg

EBCD480E-992D-4B3E-AEB6-DCD1760850E6.jpeg

4CDB3F11-BB64-4D67-9EA8-38BAE584A70F.jpeg

Many thanks for the additional pix. 

I was thinking about building a table with a stamped concrete top. But... This could be easier, cheaper and infinitely quicker. 

Where was it ordered from? 

16 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Many thanks for the additional pix. 

I was thinking about building a table with a stamped concrete top. But... This could be easier, cheaper and infinitely quicker. 

Where was it ordered from? 

https://www.titangreatoutdoors.com/outdoor-cooking/cooking-accessories/ceramic-grill-table-aluminum-fits-large-bge%2C-kamado-joe-899168.html?lang=default&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp899168&sc_intid=899168&gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZP91vrfPh7b4UsCWMtC7Ijv2JozDiXiRENrIv7NBvkrBPOfzTw41GxoC7F0QAvD_BwE

Use welcome5 for 5% off. I got mine when they were running a 25% off sale. They do make a larger table as well depending on your grill. I was not happy about it not fitting, even though it says it will. One day I'll have to lift the grill out, and sand/file the hole about 1/3" around and put the grill back in. 

The aluminum table is too close for comfort, and when I posted on the KJ group on FB they said it would be in my best interest to modify the opening a little more (and put stones underneath to help support the grill since it's 7" from the bottom shelf).