Sign in to follow this  
dmbmay98

Bolt Size through Band for Kamado Joe Retrofit Hinge

I was sent a retrofit hinge for my Big Joe 1 and the bolts/akorn nuts are stripped on my original set.  I tried to find replacements but they look like a unique size and have grooves (self clinching) on the bottom.  I sent a claim through Kamado Joe's website and of course you cannot call them anymore (Customer support is really going down with this company).  Does anyone know the bolt size / threading and where to get them?

Got to admit that does sound really frustrating, but I can't really agree with your statement on KJ's  customer support going down. Every company in the nation, regardless of what they make or what service  they perform is currently struggling to keep their heads above water right now.For national and community health reasons,  state, federal, and municipal  laws prevent employees from working in businesses considered non essential.  Given all that, I think it is a stretch to lay a lack of commitment to service on any company, given our current circumstances. KJ is probably running a skeleton crew if they are able to run at all.  Hopefully things will improve over the next weeks and month. I am hoping someone with a KJ can give you some input on size and configuration of the bolts you need.   

1 minute ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Got to admit that does sound really frustrating, but I can't really agree with your statement on KJ's  customer support going down. Every company in the nation, regardless of what they make or what service  they perform is currently struggling to keep their heads above water right now.For national and community health reasons,  state, federal, and municipal  laws prevent employees from working in businesses considered non essential.  Given all that, I think it is a stretch to lay a lack of commitment to service on any company, given our current circumstances. KJ is probably running a skeleton crew if they are ablate run at all.  Hopefully things will improve over the next weeks and month. I am hoping some one with a KJ can give you some input on size and configuration of the bolts you need.   

I made my comment because I assume them shutting off customer support via phone was a long term decision (and not related to COVID19).  In the phone recording, it did not make any comments about them being online only during the Coronavirus.  If it is only during COVID19, that is great.

1 hour ago, dmbmay98 said:

I made my comment because I assume them shutting off customer support via phone was a long term decision (and not related to COVID19).  In the phone recording, it did not make any comments about them being online only during the Coronavirus.  If it is only during COVID19, that is great.

To be honest, I don't know what their actual status is, but it just seems highly possible that this  Covid 19 shut down is the underlying reason.  KJ has long been noted for their consistently outstanding customer service, I cook on a BGE, but am aware of KJ's reputation from the comments of our members with KJ's. I doubt their current issues are related to a shift in their overall  operating policy.  I would keep trying to contact them while you wait to see if anyone here can provide you some information to help you. 

Do you mind if I ask how you got the retrofit hinge?  I tried submitting a claim through the form on the website recently as my original Big Joe V1 hinge is shot too, and they basically blew me off and said "Everything we sell is listed on the website."  

Wondering if I have to wait for them to open back up and talk to someone in person...

Maybe I got lucky.  I went through the warranty page and said my hinge was shot and would slam down.  They responded saying it was covered.  If you get them to send it, make sure you ask for new bolts/nuts at the same time to lock in the hinge in case any are stripped.  They appear to be a special type of self clinching stud.  

I am not convinced this is online only because of the coronavirus.  My concern is this is their long term plan.

When I replaced my dodgy band a few years ago, I bought top quality 316 marine grade stainless dome nuts and bolts from my specialty supplier. Couldn't get the exact bolt length, so bought the next size up and cut them down, also ground the head down a bit. Diameters can't help with

I had an email address for someone I worked with before on Kamado joe and have contacted them about this issue.

I asked about the customer support being online only forever and no longer being able to call in, they confirmed it is online only forever and not related to the coronavirus.  

Sorry for all the posts. I was sent a follow up and it looks like there was confusion.  It will not be online only forever.  If I could delete my previous post, I would.

Did you ever get the screws for your retrofit hinge?  We are in the same situation.  They sent me the hinge but the bottom screws are a tad too short to work.  I emailed customer support over the weekend and am awaiting a response.  Also if you got the bolts did the lid fit properly with the new hinge or did you have a gap in the back as I have read others have dealt with?  I have been trying to get a properly working grill since the end of February and it is a bit upsetting that a set of bolts is holding me back at this point.

They responded about a week or two later saying they would ship them (without information on size or where I could order them to get them sooner).  I still have not received them.  I found screws that seem to work (but not perfect).

https://www.mcmaster.com/93580A732

These are m8 bolts where the head did not slide through the band and are considered self clinching.  They are not perfect because I think they could use a little more friction against the gasket band.  

https://www.mcmaster.com/91828A410

I would get these nuts too.  The akorn nuts you currently have won't go all the way down on those screws above.

I found the biggest thing with the gap is to follow the directions and make sure the hinge is level both vertically and horizontally.  There is a slight gap in the back but not much (not enough to cause issues with temp).  I would benefit from the new gasket but honestly with everything i have seen lately from this company and this experience, it is driving me to look at other brands.  

This was the response I got back.  Discovered the M8 worked better than the M6 for the bottom of the hinge.  I am going to need to replace the gasket because I have some leaks that I did not have before but at least my KJ is back together and I can use it.  Picked up the bolts at my local hardware store.  I have written a letter to KJ about the lack of service.  I understand these are extreme times but why send me a replacement part without all of the needed parts or at least instructions on what I need?

Hi Teresa, unfortunately we do not have a hardware pack or the ability to send new bolts. I would recommend reaching out to a local hardware store to locate the below items:

Metal Upper Band Latch Screws M8x16
Metal Upper Band Hinge Screws  M6x18
Metal Upper Band Handle Screws  M6x16
Metal Lower Band Latch Screws  M8x16
Metal Lower Band Hinge Screws  M6x18
Metal Upper Band Bracket Screws  M6x16
M8 Nut
M6 Nut

The key is it needs to be self clinching. You can’t use smooth heads. When you are tightening the nut the screw will spin. You also need a tapered head. I could not find these at any local hardware stores. Good luck.