Not Everything I Cook Comes Out Great

2 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

Baking Steel had a virtual bagel-making class a week or two ago. I meant to attend but couldn't and have been meaning to watch but haven't (yet):

https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/bagels-of-steel and 

I think you need proper New York water to make a proper bagel... or is that just a myth?

That's a quite popular myth that is also associated with NY style pizza crusts.

Indeed, I am very happy to know that. I have made them in the past and was particularly interested in the boiling water part; I don't know if that is universal for all of bagel-dom or just the instructions I was given. I know you will have a "hole" lot of fun, either way.

2 hours ago, Old Aviator said:

Indeed, I am very happy to know that. I have made them in the past and was particularly interested in the boiling water part; I don't know if that is universal for all of bagel-dom or just the instructions I was given. I know you will have a "hole" lot of fun, either way.

20200423_153031.jpg

Into the oven they go....

• 2 months later...

I add a small amount of vital wheat gluten to my flour when making a batch of bialy.

Bialys are bagels without the holes & without the boiling but with a spoon full of cooked sweet onions in the middle.