Favorite rub mixes

There are a few different brands I've tried and liked, and several I'd like to try, but my go to is Dizzy Pig. They make a variety of rubs, from mild to hot, sweet to salty, and influences around the world. I keep most of what they make on hand. Just received a restock of seven bottles today. The only thing I've not used much is their really 'hot' rubs, as most in my family don't like things too hot.

I'd list my favorites, but I use pretty much everything except their HOT mixes. Although I just received their new Spicy Pineapple Head and can't wait to try it on some wings :-) The regular Pineapple Head is so good! 

The family likes 2 Gringos Chupacabra on chicken, but it does have MSG.

I've only tried one Traeger rub, Blackened Saskatchewan. Its a good general purpose rub, but really salty so i have to remember to apply lightly.

15 hours ago, O C said:

I've only tried one Traeger rub, Blackened Saskatchewan. Its a good general purpose rub, but really salty so i have to remember to apply lightly.

That's the main argument I see against buying pre-made rubs...many are too salty. I'll probably buy a few commercial products and try to recreate them by looking at the list of ingredients and adding less salt.

I've used the Weber brand rubs, found them at Walmart, they are really good and not that expensive.  To start with I would just go to Walmart or something and just look and see what catches your eye.  It's fun to experiment with different brands and types, remembering to match the rub with the application:

• Sweet rubs, usually red from paprika: Pork BBQ (ribs, butts, etc) low-and slow
  • Pepper rubs - rubs with lots of pepper:  Beef
  • Savory rubs - rubs with herbs:  Chicken

However, it's fun to play with all the types on all the meats.  You can mix and match types on any type of meat.  Have fun and experiment!  Just remember:

• Sweet rubs will burn at high temps, so better for low-and-slow cooks
  • Most commercial rubs have salt - so probably won't need any salt other than the rub itself

Also, take a look at making your own rubs.  You can really have fun and come up with your own personal favorites.

Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb

Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish

Dizzy Dust

Pineapple Head 

Definitely check out their selections. I also have met the owner, Chris Capell, who is a sterling individual, and one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Just tried the new Dizzy Pig Spicy Pineapple Head the other night on some wings, good stuff! Some heat but tempered with the sweetness, its really good :) Using it on some chicken leg quarters tonight.

Generally I find their rubs are not overly salty. Many of them feature a fair amount of demara sugar, maybe a concern for some. But they sure are good!

I've used a Oak ridge rubs - Dominator Sweet rub and Competition Beef & Pork rub.  These are very good.

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/about-us/oakridge-bbq-competition-rubs-spices/

I used Meathead Goldwyn's Big Bad Beef rub on my last brisket and it produced the best bark.  I'll use this one again. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe