Low Cost Kamado

Saw this trolling for deals as usual during my morning routine.

The "fine print disclaimer from me" is I know Zero about this Kamado. It was the price that caught my eye.

A maybe for someone wanting a ceramic grill.

M.

B43E9DBC-69E0-4C89-A2D4-3DC75229AB1D.png

I saw this too and it looked like a really good deal! People were mentioning get the akorn jr instead but that only saves you $50 and this comes with a cover, a starter, and a cooking stone...what a deal! I have Big Vision and an akorn jr love both but i have no name brand loyalty :)

I have only a full size Akorn and minimal experience with ceramic grill. 

One of the benefits of the Akorn Jr, I am told, is that it will reach high heats, quickly. Perfect for a searing unit. Of course, this is going to affect longevity. 

I need a Jr sized kamado. This could be a perfect solution because I could use the ceramic for most cooking and use the Akorn for searing or mass cook overflow... 

I just wish it were a more known quantity. 

A primo oval Jr would be fantastic but you could buy four of these and some accessories for that price. 

On 4/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, lnarngr said:

I have only a full size Akorn and minimal experience with ceramic grill. 

One of the benefits of the Akorn Jr, I am told, is that it will reach high heats, quickly. Perfect for a searing unit. Of course, this is going to affect longevity. 

I need a Jr sized kamado. This could be a perfect solution because I could use the ceramic for most cooking and use the Akorn for searing or mass cook overflow... 

I just wish it were a more known quantity. 

A primo oval Jr would be fantastic but you could buy four of these and some accessories for that price. 

I think your plan makes sense.  The biggest issue on a less expensive ceramic would be high heat and rapid cooling. If you only used it for low and slow and your current Akorn for high heat you would mitigate its' weakness and take advantage of the strength of ceramic's low and slow ability.

I have an Akorn Jr. and I use it mainly for doing high temp searing. The biggest problem with that is you can't keep it from rusting out. The high temps just destroy the bottom part of the grill and it's going to rust. I am on my second one, as my first one rusted out, even with a cover on it. I think this ceramic one would be perfect for doing high temp searing and should hold up much better than the Jr.