Sign in to follow this  
Team402

Smoked Beef Short Ribs the easy way

With my dealership still being on an alternating three day on three day off schedule I decided to give it another go and make another video using the suggestions that were made here on the forum along with implementing some things that I wished I had done in my first video. 
Take a look and let me know what you think of the video but more importantly what you think of the Beef Short Ribs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GlYgvATJGA

Nice cook! It would have been nice to see another shot of your fire once it was going, just always curious to see how others set up their Akorns.  Also, i've never bothered to bank the fire as I thought the heat deflector did a pretty good job. Have you found a lot of benefit banking? Cheers!

Thanks for your comments Brissybbq about the fire. I'll try to remember to add that in during the next video.

Banking? Are you referring to my placing the briquets all on one side of the grill? If that's what you mean, I do that for two reasons: 

1. As stated in the video it allows me to control how much heat is making direct or indirect contact with the beef ribs. What you have to remember is that beef short ribs are typically very fatty and if you don't render that out slowly the meat will not be very delicious to eat. So to do that you have to slow down the cooking process by keeping the temperatures relatively low and moving the heat source as far away from the meat as you can. Those two ribs started out just about 3lbs and when I finished, they weighed just under 2lbs. I probably could have let them go a little longer to melt a little more of the fat but I had a wife and two teenagers that were screaming about being hungry.

2nd reason I placed my briquets the way I did is I was trying to create a circulating effect inside my smoker using the dome to channel the heat to come down on top of the ribs rather than cook them from below. If you notice in the video I placed the briquets in an area where there would be an opening from my heat deflector and I placed the ribs adjacent to the location of the coals. My goal was to create an environment similar to roasting and broiling to give the fat in the meat a chance to melt down keeping the meat moist and tender only at a considerably lower temp and a much longer cooking time. In the end I think I achieved the results I was going after... They sure did eat good.

As I'm responding to your question in my mind I'm going back over that scene of setting up the fire in my cooker and I'm thinking that I really should have given some sort of explanation about that in the video but it is only my second video and I'm still learning so much about the process. So thank you for making me think about that and wanting to remember that for the next time.

Hopefully that is what you mean by "banking"

Thanks for the reply mate, I thought it was a great video, didn't drag on too long but showed all the relevant points.  I've subscribed and look forward to your next cook!