White smoke?

Owen

So guys, my first question on cooking on Kamodo Joe, I was doing only my second cook on the grill today (chicken wings) 

got the thing going great, played around a bit with trying to control the temp. Anyway, I had the temp about 350 and the wings where going well cooking nicely then all of a sudden I got pretty thick white smoke come from both the top vent and lower vent. Had no idea what caused this but the wings came out with a little unpleasant after taste. Not sure if that was down to my seasoning or the smoke.

any ideas?

(Heat deflectors both in grills set one low one high, using Kamodo Joe own brand lumpwold) 

thanks guys any advice is welcomed. 

BBQ novice 

White smoke is the usual culprit for bad taste. If your playing around with the temp settings you may have started a bunch of charcoal going and while the charcoal is starting to catch causes the white smoke. Sort of like when you first fire up the charcoal. I'm not familiar with the charcoal you were using but different brands smoke more than others.what was the temp before you changed settings and how long was it holding temp? If this is your first charcoal experience it will take a little with charcoal and the komodo  trial and error John Seltzer has a good pamphlet   at the start of this forum. Don't give up it will get better.   

18 minutes ago, len440 said:

I would guess your probably correct. I may have ignited more coal and created the smoke by messing

about to much with the temp. My confusion was why it was coming out the lower vent as even when firing it it up it doesn’t come from there. Although I’ve only used this twice so my knowledge of the ‘norm’ is bear minimum 

Owen 

Smoke coming out of the bottom vent is caused by having a fire going in the grill. The air comes in the bottom and expands in the kamodo then out the top, if the top is closed down or both the expanded air has no where to go but out the bottom. also. 

Of course, and to think I was pretty good at Science at school. Haha thanks len440 everything you’ve said makes sense. Appreciate your taking the time to reply. 

I agree with John 1000%. The caveat is that fat dripping onto the deflector plates and then burning at higher temps. If it was just dripping into the fire, it would be amazing extra seasoning. If I use deflector plates on those kinds of cooks, I use drip pans with a little water- no for moisture- but to dilute the fat and hopefully prevent the burning...

Here's a good source for drip pans..

DSC01829.thumb.JPG.15d9add39c8a5f860c941e4388609608.JPGDSC01834.thumb.JPG.b8f9850cac0527439b340ba87a5acd67.JPGDSC01833.thumb.JPG.a001330442fc71cd3f75c0572f61b8a6.JPG

https://www.instawares.com/american-metalcraft-20in-straight-sided-aluminum-pizza-pan.amm-ha4020.0.7.htm

Seems they shut down the web site on-line sales function but you can still order via phone.

That's a real shame, they offer thousands of cool cooking gear.

Maybe they will go back to hard copy catalogs?

I need a decent dedicated drip pan. So, that one looks great @Chasdev.

One other thing learned the hard way @Owen, if the pan is sitting directly on the deflector plates, the little bit of water I put in it can cook off fairly quickly also, depending on your temp. In those cases, if my plates are in the high position, I try and find a way to elevate the pan for an air gap.

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I need a decent dedicated drip pan. So, that one looks great @Chasdev.

One other thing learned the hard way @Owen, if the pan is sitting directly on the deflector plates, the little bit of water I put in it can cook off fairly quickly also, depending on your temp. In those cases, if my plates are in the high position, I try and find a way to elevate the pan for an air gap.

Ceramic Grill Store makes the nicest  stainless drip pans I have seen on the market . I have two one s 14" and the other is 16". Worth checking out. Very simple and at the same very well designed. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/drip-pans