John Setzler

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 First Look Video

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I added the beef brisket video to the original post....

Another good video, thanks. 300 , fat cap down ? I've seen other video where people do this. Certainly different than most people cook brisket. Why? I will have to try this, even though I have had excellent results at 225, fat cap up.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

Another good video, thanks. 300 , fat cap down ? I've seen other video where people do this. Certainly different than most people cook brisket. Why? I will have to try this, even though I have had excellent results at 225, fat cap up.

I'm over the extremely long cooks.  I can't tell any difference in my end product at 300°F compared to anything below that.  Through lots of experience, I have determined that you can cook butts and brisket at any temp you want.  I have done it all at temps between 190F and 400F.  As long as you know what you are looking for in finished meat, it all works.  I am a big fan of the 24 hour cooks at 190 where you wrap after 12 hours... those cooks are amazing.

I added a chicken wing video to the original post... I won't be adding additional videos to this post from here on out.  This has enough content to give you a feel for how this smoker performs....

Thanks!

I'm sorry, John, I'm not following you.  First you write...

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I can't tell any difference in my end product at 300°F compared to anything below that.

Then you write...

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I am a big fan of the 24 hour cooks at 190 where you wrap after 12 hours... those cooks are amazing.

So, are the low/slow 190° cooks amazing and the others are not quite amazing?  So, you can tell a difference?

@pmillen

I should have chosen different words.  There is a difference in results on the 24 hour cook.  The texture of the meat is softer.  I dont really like it better,.  The amazing part is that it works at all :)

On 5/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, DEW said:

I am thinking about adding this to my collection but given the electronics need to figure out an outdoor storage solution (no shed) 

Masterbuilt sells a very well made cover.

Here's my new cover right out of the package, it relaxed and lost the wrinkles in a day or two.

DSC00418.JPG

People seem to want a cover that comes down almost to the ground.  I don't understand why, there's nothing down that low to protect.  I had to shorten one of my covers when it provided a "ladder" for mice to get inside the pit.  I finally solved the mice problem by getting rid of their food source, a bird feeder.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:47 PM, John Setzler said:

I added a chicken wing video to the original post... I won't be adding additional videos to this post from here on out.  This has enough content to give you a feel for how this smoker performs....

Thanks!

Thanks for the series John. Do you have anything further to say in regards to your overall impressions of the grill and how you would rate it? Have any of your thoughts about the grill changed from the early videos as you have done more cooks?

Happy cooking

Posted (edited)

Some great video's John. I've also begun cooking my brisket at higher temps for shorter cooks with great results. I've also taken to trying some enhancements by injecting Kosmos reserve blend and better than bouillion into it and had some pretty amazing results on the higher temperature cooks with very juicy brisket and a little richer beef flavor. I also wrap my brisket like you in foil after the bark sets and pour some of the remaining blend into the foil to help the final process. It changed my thinking on very long slow cooks to get a great end product that passes the finger bend and pull test with flying colors and those that have tried it seem to like the beefier flavor. The leftovers wrapped in foil in a 350 degree oven are really great and as tender as can be. Just wondering if you've tried injection on brisket and what you thought of it?

Now for the real meat of the matter you definitely still have me interested in the masterbuilt gravity series. Now that you've had a chance to use it a bit more how do you feel about it?  Thanks and regards, Skeets

Edited by Skeets
add content

3 minutes ago, Skeets said:

Just wondering if you've tried the injections on brisket?

Now for the real meat of the matter you definitely still have me interested in the masterbuilt gravity series. Now that you've had a chance to use it a bit more how do you feel about it?  Thanks and regards, Skeets

On the injections... I have not spent much time injecting pork or beef.  I have been experimenting with it a little and I decided to order some pork injections today to try.... I ordered a Kosmo, a Meat Church, and a Heath Riles.... I'll try each of them....

As for the 1050.. I absolutely LOVE the way that thing cooks.  It does a fantastic job.  I wish it was built  with a bit more heft and durability.  I don't know what the life expectancy of one of these is.  I am keeping my dry with a cover.

John you are a bad influence on a guys wallet and his waistline!! LOL The reason I tried the injections was because we're always looking to get more flavor out of the things we cook and decided to try it on brisket. IMO, it can turn a single into an inside the park home run especially on a brisket since they're not always marbled even with prime cuts in the tissue itself on the flats and on the 3 I've done it on it seemed to work out well.  Given the higher cooking temps it seemed to go hand in hand, with a great end product. I just started experimenting with them too. 

Thanks for the input on the Masterbuilt and It seems to make more sense than a pellet grill in many regards and the grilling versatility is a plus along with the enhanced smoke over a pellet grill.  If these take off like i think they will,  I'm sure somebody will decide build a more durable model with some better wheels etc. . It's easy to increase the gauge of the sheet metal once a product is engineered. Thanks Skeets.

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

As for the 1050.. I absolutely LOVE the way that thing cooks.  It does a fantastic job.  I wish it was built  with a bit more heft and durability.  I don't know what the life expectancy of one of these is.  I am keeping my dry with a cover.

I'm still thinking about one of these, was impressed with the 1050, it seemed a LOT beefier than the 560. But still not enough heft? In any case, they are both (560 or 1050) still on my list, have to admit though I'm enjoying my Akorn and Traeger and struggling to justify a new grill! This weekend cleaned up and  reseasoned my Akorn Jr, kinda have all my bases covered...but that 1050 just looks amazingly good.