I've been wanting to buy a wok for my Big Joe. I'm leaning towards a carbon steel style Wok but still open minded. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Carbon steel for sure.

I picked mine up from the wok shop with the removable wood handle and like it. It isn't as stiff as a solid handle but the handle doesn't get as hot and fits in my oven after I clean/oil it.

Don't forget the little ring it sits on. It makes serving from the wok much easier imo.

Wok Shop

I have a lodge cast iron. I know it’s not traditional but I’ve had great success with it.  I also find it’s easier to use on my electric stove then the carbon steel wok I had.  

I have the Lodge cast iron Wok and a round bottom carbon steel wok. Both are great, but I find myself using them more on the stove. 

Going to have to experiment more with John's recommendations to put in small amounts of charcoal in the kamados.

I have a stainless steel one we registered for when we got married,  its basically a gigantic saucier pan. It works...fine, but i have a glasstop stove, so a huge cast iron one is not a great idea for us (just using my 10 and 12 inch pan on there terrifies me)

if i had gas and/or wanted to do wokstuff on my joe, I would head directly to the nearest Asian grocery and buy the second cheapest carbon steel wok there, and barring that, a restaurant supply store

Another vote for carbon steel

I recently saw America's Test Kitchen's Wok reviews on youtube and it might be worth a look for you.

They didn't cook on a kamado though. :)

Cheers

On 4/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, Ron5850 said:

I've been wanting to buy a wok for my Big Joe. I'm leaning towards a carbon steel style Wok but still open minded. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

whatcha planning on cooking on a wok? For various reasons, I don't think a Kamado would be the way to go for stir fry and doubt you'd get much in the wok hei department. 

I have a hand hammered steel wok i bought about 30 years ago in china town San Francisco. Haven't use it on the Joe yet but it looks like it will fit in the accessory x rack. THink Komodo Kung Po might be good soon

5 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

whatcha planning on cooking on a wok? For various reasons, I don't think a Kamado would be the way to go for stir fry and doubt you'd get much in the wok hei department. 

:-D nothing in particular Chris. Just more to play around and try different things and recipes.

6 hours ago, cmiller said:

Another vote for carbon steel

I recently saw America's Test Kitchen's Wok reviews on youtube and it might be worth a look for you.

They didn't cook on a kamado though. :)

Cheers

Love American Test Kitchen. Thank you cmiller

6 minutes ago, Ron5850 said:

:-D nothing in particular Chris. Just more to play around and try different things and recipes.

aha! Nothing against wok-on-the-Kamado, of course, just wondering where you were headed. All for trying different things and recipes, especially when stuck at home. Let us know what you find and post some cooks... good, bad, and, definitely, ugly!

22 minutes ago, len440 said:

I have a hand hammered steel wok i bought about 30 years ago in china town San Francisco. Haven't use it on the Joe yet but it looks like it will fit in the accessory x rack. THink Komodo Kung Po might be good soon

Do you happen to know the size of that Wok? And which Joe do you have?