rgham1969

18 vs 24 inch grill

Hello, in the market for a KJ.  I don't do any big cooks really, but want to make sure I can fit a full packer brisket (14-18 lbs or so).  Would I definitely need the 24" grill then?  Thanks much!

2 hours ago, rgham1969 said:

Hello, in the market for a KJ.  I don't do any big cooks really, but want to make sure I can fit a full packer brisket (14-18 lbs or so).  Would I definitely need the 24" grill then?  Thanks much!

I cook full packers on an 18" grill frequently.  I jsut drape it over a rib rack until it shrinks enough to sit flat on the grill.

I have the Big Joe and like @&roid said, if you have the money and the patio space, won't hurt to go bigger. I am often just cooking for three and use the divider that comes with the BJ to set up split zone and only use one half of the grill for a quick light. This is great for just the three of us and the extra space is handy when we host parties, smoke bacon, and allows you to cook an entire meal all inside the joe at one time. It's definitely a luxury and the classic will work fine, but if you go bigger you won't ever complain about not having enough real estate.

I was in the same boat on my first purchase but decided to go with the 24.  I'm so happy I did.  I'm usually doing small cooks, but sometimes I load the grill surface down.  It's nice having the extra space when you need it.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, John Setzler said:

I cook full packers on an 18" grill frequently.  I jsut drape it over a rib rack until it shrinks enough to sit flat on the grill.

Interesting idea! Next time you do that can you post a picture? 

I have the classic and it works most of the time (family of 5), however, I wish I would have gone with the BigJoe as I occasionally run into space issues when cooking for larger groups. I'm now looking for another smoker/grill and it's more money than if I had bought the BJ in the first place. 

18 vs 24 ..? 
18 suits me, not cooking for a  crowd. I have come to the conclusion that 24 with a KAB and divider (or OEM equivalent ) Would be a good choice for some folks.  Half the grill and half the charcoal most of the time. Full load when you need it. Of coarse the cost difference must be justified, how often do you need the extra space. Maybe aN 18 with an expansion rack would work, and be more cost effective.

Main reason I got 24" over 18" is I wanted to be able to grill some steaks and a basket of grilled vegatables.

In the 18" the basket would take the entire cooking surface, that's why I went with the 24".

When I do smaller cookes, I use the charcoal basket divider and only use half the bbq.

In addition to the obvious, I like the fact that I can get a lot of food on half of the D&C with the Big Joe, so I can, e.g., easily reverse sear or use a 2-zone setup without having to reconfigure grates or deflectors. You could do this on a Classic too, but you have a lot less space that you are now effectively cutting in half. 

-Andrew