wallawu

Fuel efficient steak

This is maybe the first time I've taken pictures from beginning to end. I set the extender in the bottom so it would sit lower on top of the coals. Normally I do half low half high and come out with (mostly good) mixed results. This was perfect. Porterhouse baby!

IMG_20200429_192614.thumb.jpg.3c5620b6faf2169c9721f771a07e67a1.jpgIMG_20200429_193019.thumb.jpg.5cc210d8ebae6d47802764d0d57b0a73.jpgIMG_20200429_193217.thumb.jpg.85bf763b6061ea642a34987e626bf4fa.jpgIMG_20200429_194413.thumb.jpg.9022b1daac633615ce89bf0f60b7351d.jpg

Started with the extender down low, then moved up top. Saved me a lot of charcoal. Basically counted to 100 on both sides low and 100 on both sides high. We like the rarer side of medium rare. Strip on the left, fillet (like butter) on the right. Loved it.

Really cool idea.  I have the extender and I think I've only used it once.   I'll have to give this a try.

13 hours ago, acr said:

Really cool idea.  I have the extender and I think I've only used it once.   I'll have to give this a try.

Normally I would use the divide and conquer, but I wasn't always getting a good sear because of that distance and I was using a lot more charcoal to get it really hot. I've done this new way 4 times now with fillets, the porterhouses, and some Ribeyes and the results have been consistent. Not going back to the other way.

Nice looking steak Only comment and don't take this the wrong way but the steak may have a better taste if the grate is cleaned. Easiest way is drop the grate low then  heat to about 500 and eat dinner when done hit with brush afterwards. Hope i don't offend anyone

2 hours ago, len440 said:

Nice looking steak Only comment and don't take this the wrong way but the steak may have a better taste if the grate is cleaned. Easiest way is drop the grate low then  heat to about 500 and eat dinner when done hit with brush afterwards. Hope i don't offend anyone

It has been a few months since I've done a burnoff. Not offended at all!

IMG_20200508_192629.thumb.jpg.9d301ddddf38432e995757aa57b6e051.jpg

9 hours ago, len440 said:

To be honest it looks like my son's Weber grill

90% of the time it doesn't see 300. Before I throw on these Ribeyes I made sure I did some scrapin at 600. May take a few times!

Looks a lot better i let mine cruise at 400 -500 while i eat then come out and close vents and hit it with a brush. When i was younger my grills looked like your's and maybe a little worse. My daughter in law tells me she can tell when my son knows i'm coming because he cleans the grill.