pizza on the jr

Tried pizza on the grill a couple months ago for the first time. Tried a a few personal pizzas different ways:  with and without deflector, pie directly on grate, pie on a steel pizza pan on the grate.  They were good but just not great. Really had to watch the temps and crust cooked a little fast if temp got any higher than 450 or so.

The bride decided she wanted pizza tonight and and had all the fixings ready when I got home from work. Poured myself a cocktail, fired up jr and and let her get up to about 450. This time I used my clay saucer deflector as a pizza stone on the grate and put the pizzas on a cool steel pan and placed directly on the saucer.  First pizza took about 8 minutes and crust was a little too blonde. By the time I put in the second pizza though, temps had crept up closer to 550. Bingo! Crust turned out absolutely perfect on the last 3 pizzas. A nice golden brown with no scorched spots.3 minutes, spin, 3 minutes,  pull.  And the pans work great. I have three 9 inch pans  so while one is cooking, one is on deck and one is being made and no messing with a peel. Very convenient and easy. I like a lot of toppings and I think using the pans slow down the crust enough to let the top cook completely.  Think this is going to turn into a weekly event!

IMG_2212.thumb.jpg.561476303497675e9ce867cf2a4ccfba.jpg

IMG_2213.thumb.jpg.f895f6df0156e40616e64e17e2b97a40.jpg

Pizza on the Akorn was a game changer for us. Crust gets nice and crispy without being burned and still has a nice chew and you get that wood fired pizza taste and smell. We would rather make our own anymore over ordering out and I live in NJ where we have some of the best pizza on the planet., but 

Glad you found your sweet spot. Was that 550 on the dome thermometer? If so you were probably closer to 600-650, but at least you know what works for you.

5 hours ago, Yazamitaz said:

Was that 550 on the dome thermometer? If so you were probably closer to 600-650, but at least you know what works for you.

Yep. Dome temp was 500-550.