Sign in to follow this  
Owly

Vanishing Napalm Apple Crunch

A few years back I perfected the apple pie to the point where people lick their plates, and pies vanish before your astonished eyes..............The trick is extremely simple.   Make the pie normally in every way but one.   Take half a can of frozen concentrate apple juice / cider........ full strength, add a cup of sugar and reduce it in a pan as if you were making candy.......I put a generous shake of cayenne in for a bit of spicy bite... like applesauce with red hots..... I haven't had a candy thermometer for years... since I broke the last one.    It is a very scary process, as you are making napalm.... It is so hot and sticky that it will stick to your skin and take it right off if you get it on yourself.  But candy makers know all about this.   This is cooked down to the point where if it were allowed to cool it would be almost hard.... it would still have give, rather than breaking......... I can't give temps because I've never measured them, but I suspect they are approaching 270F when I take it off the heat.   This is poured over the apples in the pie shell, the upper crust added and the works baked.....The reason it must be cooked down is that the apples yield  their own juice, and it would be runny otherwise......   Believe me the apple flavor is so intense that people cannot leave it alone.

This evening I did an apple crunch this way, but used a full can of concentrate.... A bit overboard delicious.     This was a generic oatmeal crunch.... C flour C brown sugar C oatmeal, 1/2C melted butter.  I used 7 small  Granny Smith apples in a 10x7 pyrex rectangular pan.   The result is rich, sticky and extremely tangy and flavorful with just a bit of a hot bite.  

H.W.