philpom

Pork Roll w/asparagus and brussel sprouts

This was an outstanding meal and pretty easy to cook.  The veggies cooked in a foil pack with a little pork rub and olive oil.  The loin cooked indirect at 300°f for about 90 minutes and was pulled at an internal temperature of 148°f.

20200505_100829.thumb.jpg.5ea23d22d2cfef5eb1f11a14d87200cf.jpg

I cut this open, dusted with some pork rub, cream cheese and fresh spinach out of our garden. 

20200505_100852.thumb.jpg.648c4b7b271c8bb258a05cb030c32243.jpg

Tied it up nice and tight and put in in the preheated Primo.

20200505_100931.thumb.jpg.1affb042619a872654cffc1b26dab498.jpg

Just about ready!

20200505_101048.thumb.jpg.20ad66288e29daeb1fd0c6f7e4e7b3a0.jpg

20200505_101030.thumb.jpg.80e2fba9e518725c193dcde037804708.jpg

Yum, the spinach was juicy and the cheese creamy.

20200505_100956.thumb.jpg.0246245d76d72f4745ecd75c6086ec4b.jpg

The sprouts and asparagus steamed perfectly in their own juices and complimented the pork very well.

20200505_100804.thumb.jpg.00cf9e2679002fa6c4aaa858b6e971cd.jpg

Had to have something refreshing to finish this meal with!

Looks wonderful! That just looks so amazingly good with the fresh spinach!

What cut did you start with for the pork roll? Did you butterfly a loin?

1 hour ago, O C said:

Looks wonderful! That just looks so amazingly good with the fresh spinach!

What cut did you start with for the pork roll? Did you butterfly a loin?

It was a section of a whole loin I had, yes, I just kinda cut a large flat piece out of it, put the rub, cream cheese and spinach on it and then rolled it back up tight.  Tied it pretty tight on the ends first (so the stuffing stayed inside) and finally the middle to help keep it together.  After the cook the integrity of the cut was excellent. 

Great looking pork roll Hope theirs some tequila in the green drink. As a side note i miss Roger the doger. Now on to the next entry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MD_Ag
      My parents came into town to visit their grandson, so last night was the perfect time to pull out the frozen pork and make some leftovers.  I prepped the grill for 350°F and went inside.

To start out, I made the sauce that would cover the entire dish. I used a jar of salsa verde, some large scoops of sour cream, two cloves of garlic, and a handful of cilantro. I wanted to add some fresh onion, but was outvoted. Rules of hospitality demanded I go with my guests' (and wife's) preferences. I blended everything together in the processor, then added a bit more salsa and stirred to combine.

Once the meat was thawed enough, I tossed it into the skillet with a scoop of duck fat. Got it nice and hot with just a hint of crisp, then transferred it into a bowl for later.

The rest of the duck fat tub was put in the skillet to fry the corn tortillas. I think I fried up 16 and used 14 overall.

For assembly, I scooped a good portion of the pork into the tortillas, rolled tightly, and arranged them as neatly as I could.  I was worried the skillet would be too hot from the tortilla frying, but it worked out. I really need a second one, though.  The sauce was poured over evenly and heaping handfuls of cheese spread on top.

I took the skillet out to the grill and let it go for about 25 minutes. Once the cheese was sufficiently melted, I brought it in and topped with some more cilantro. For serving we had a couple each along with a nice little salad.

I was really happy with my parents response. They aren't great fans of spicy food, but all the cream and cheese let them enjoy the flavor while avoiding most of the heat. Even better, I now have leftovers of the leftovers!

Thanks for reading and happy grilling!
    • By MD_Ag
      The goal: make an all-in-one meatloaf meal.

The key components: ground chuck from the actual butcher shop, a wheel of brie cheese, an onion, duck fat, herbs, and the tiniest potatoes ever. I mean, look at those things.

Started off by cooking the potatoes and onion in some duck fat with some rub on the grill at 350. Basic idea was to infuse them with smoke so that the flavor would be more uniform throughout. Let them cool when done.

The meat was formed into a shell using the ceramic cast iron pot. The cheese was chilled, sliced, and placed in rind side down (hoping to prevent an oozing mess. This was then layered with half the potatoes and onions, then the other half of the cheese and the remainder of the potatoes. This was all capped with a layer of meat.

The grill was still set to 350. Temp was a tricky thing: the center technically didn't need cooking, but some beef juices that did would certainly drip in there. I went for about 55 minutes, with the center probing at 147. Checking the outside showed a way too high 180, so this beef was done done. The pot kept all the juices in, so it was surprisingly more moist than expected.

For the final shot, this slice was leftovers. Letting it chill overnight helps to show that the layers did in fact stay intact.  It was equally tasty with a side of grilled asparagus as it was with these plantains, and the peach cobbler dessert, sadly not pictured, bumps up every meal.

Thanks for reading!
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      Mostly butter and brown sugar but there was some fruit involved for this cook so I think it counts 

baked at about 400 for 35 min ... no smoke this time around lol

• By MD_Ag
      I had in mind to make something with peaches, and then I saw this month's challenge. Perfect timing. Then I saw the recent Food Wishes post for "Baltimore Peach Cake", which confused me for two reasons. First, I'd never heard it called that, I suppose for the same reason no one in Houston would ask for "Texas Brisket". Secondly, it just didn't look like my grandmother's peach cake. Too thick, too bready. Luckily, I had her recipe in an archive, so here we go.

For the peaches, I recommend some that haven't ripened yet so they'll slice easier. Since my cast iron wasn't quite big enough, I did use a regular pan for the leftovers and tossed it in the oven. You know, compare and contrast. Even though I used baking powder as the rising agent, it puffed up way more than I remember as a kid. I wonder if Granny used less. I'm also trying to remember if she left it a bit doughy and under-baked, more like a Danish pastry. Anyway, plate with some homemade whipped cream and sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon sugar.

Since I still had some peaches left over,  I chopped them up to make a peach salsa. Peaches, a bit of onion, green pepper, lime juice, honey, and cilantro. Shrimp were marinated in olive oil, lime juice, cayenne, chili powder, and sweet pepper sauce. Grill until done, then make tacos with the salsa and some crunchy slaw. Corn was also grilled and served with butter and Old Bay.

• By Lydia
      Hello everyone,  here is my effort to challenge myself by deboning a chicken - using the technique of the master, Mister Jacques Pepin!  I could watch that video over and over again and would never bore of it. I can't say that I did it in the two meenoots that he can do it in LOL ... and I must admit that I had a piece of cling-wrap over the screen of my ipad so that I could keep pausing it at each step and rewinding regularly. ha haaa!!

In addition, I couldn't decide on which sauce I wanted to make, so I made two - gravy using the carcass and bones from said chicken along with other ingredients and also a Romesco sauce made from capsicums I roasted in the Kamado too.

Stuffed chicken Galantine

Free-range whole chicken
      Spanish serrano ham
      Spinach - wilted
      Garlic -  a few cloves
      Mushrooms - sauteed (I added these once I saw how piddly amount of stuffing I had once the big bag of spinach wilted down to a very small quantity)
      Young Asiago cheese
      Salt and pepper
      olive oil to rub on skin prior to roasting

Basically, I used the Jacques Pepin method to de-bone the chicken and only messed up one foot because me being me, I took the whole de-boning thing too far and removed that bone but it was all good.

This is what it looked like sans-carcass.

With the tasty stuffing.

Trussed and ready to cook (not as elegant as Jacques - but not bad for a first timer, if I must say so myself )

Romesco Sauce
      4 red capsicums - fire roasted
      6 sun dried tomato halves
      2/3 cup almonds
      big bunch of parsley from the garden
      4 garlic cloves
      6 Tablespoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (or sherry vinegar if you have it - I didn't so also added an extra teaspoon of red wine vinegar)
      2 teaspoons pimenton/smoked paprika

b

Basically, I roasted and cleaned up the capsicums the day before, then cooked off the garlic and nuts in the olive oil until the garlic just started to very lightly colour (to take out the harshness) and then popped all the ingredients, including the oil into the food processor until still slightly chunky. Refrigerated overnight for the flavours to meld.

Gravy

carcass and bones from my de-boned chicken
      1 kg chicken wings
      4 x strips streaky bacon (I had forgotten to take it out of the fridge prior to taking this photo)
      3 x ribs celery
      2 x carrots
      2 x onions
      2 or 3 rosemary sticks
      a couple of bay leaves
      a couple of star anise
      some bunches of tarragon
      a few whole pepper corns
      1.5 litre chicken stock
      flour and butter to make a roux - I just wing this so can't say the quantities sorry.

I roasted all ingredients listed up to and including rosemary in the oven until well cooked and deep in colour / flavour.
      Transferred to a big pot and then deglazed the oven tray of all the delicious bits stuck to the bottom and then poured that into the pot, along with the bay leaves, tarragon and star anise.
      Simmered on low for a couple of hours and gave everything a good moosh (culinary technical term ) with the wooden spoon every now and then to extract maximum flavour.
      Strained and cooled in the fridge for a while.
      I then scooped off a lot of the chicken fat before adding to the roux to make a very flavoursome and delicious gravy. 

My friend and neighbours took their own money shots on their phones when I was plating. They've never had a deboned chicken before and were very impressed when i was "carving" what appeared to them to be a whole chicken.