New to the KAMADO world!  Longtime Weber briquette user so I know the ins and outs of where to buy and good pricing.  

Is there somewhere I can get bulk Lump?  Is there a target price for decent Lump/Lbs?  Could careless about name brand etc...

thanks in advance!

Welcome to Kamado Guru!  Prices for any lump around $0.50 / lb is good.  Normally very high quality lump will be $1.00 - $3.00 a pound.  Great lump can be found for under a dollar a pound regularly.  Look for B&B, Royal Oak, Cowboy and others for good lump at a good price.

Just shop around.

Royal Oak is a solid lump, is (usually) readily available, and fairly priced at (usually) between $.50 and $1.00 per lb.

costco was (maybe still is) running a deal on KJ lump: $80 for 80 lbs. 

I don't worry too much about the price of charcoal more concerned about results. Used royal oak for about 10 years in my grills, till last fall i had 2 bags with nothing but 50 cent sized pieces. Since then i've used rockwood and b&b I know 2 bags out of 10 years worth seem small but i was just starting to learn my Joe. I'll more than likely buy some more royal oak. What i'm trying to say is find a brand you like and use it. Different brands have different burn profile and smoke flavor.

Posted (edited)

Best bang for your buck and good quality too B&B Oak lump! @ckreef has a thread on here, he spends a ton of time and money to answer your question give it a look see think you will be amazed!

Scott

Edited by Scott Roberts

I'm lucky here in that Lowes has the KJ Big Block and my local hardware carries Fogo and Jealous Devil within 1 to 2 of the same price. I have started buying one of those three and mixing it with RO or Cowboy from Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc with good success and the price averaged between the two is good. BTW, the Cowboy Hickory and Mesquite blend (in a full color 18 lb. bag) is worth it over the Cowboy Hardwood lump (in the 20 lb. two-color bag), for what it's worth.

There always seems to be a bag in my car as I pick it up anytime they are on sale.

I tried Jealous Devil for the first time a few weeks ago.  It's not cheap (think I paid $50 for a 35lb bag on Amazon).  It's good stuff - lots of large pieces.  It seemed to spark a little less and take a little longer to get going but it was not significantly different (could be the bigger pieces).  I've also tried Fogo Premium, which is similar.  Like many others here, my go to is Royal Oak mainly b/c it's cheap, available at Home Depot (not Lowes where I am in Cincy) and usually consistent.  I like it better than Cowboy.  The last bag was a little disappointing, however - lots of small pieces, few medium and no large.  That's unusual for R.O. in my experience.  I plan to try B&B next based on a lot of favorable opinions here.  One other brand I've used is Simple Truth, which I think is a Kroger brand.  Can't get it in big bags but it's on par with R.O. IMO. 

My $.02.  But above all experiment and have fun with it!