This recipe is from one of my favourite books, Prashad - Cooking with Indian Masters by J Inder Singh Kalra.  It's a wonderful book, absolutely recommend it if you are a lover of Indian food.

There are instructions for cooking in a Tandoor or over a charcoal grill.  If I'm not allowed to show the page pic, please feel free to delete.

I'll put a pic of the masala blends in the rubs page.

87832EB8-6088-4C4B-BE8A-1C950EA609D4.jpeg

Looks good, I’m just waking up and feel like I could eat a horse so you’ve inspired me to try this later.  Have you cooked this often? Any tips or pictures?

I've only ever made it using a tandoor.  The baste /rest part way through is really important, after around 15 mins. We use ghee, and we don’t rush that part.  Then back in for another 10 mins or so.  

Temperature wise, I don’t know on a KJ, I’ve only got just mine.  I’m going to try later at around 350f. 

We used to get the tandoor really hot and the flavour was great.  It was nothing like the tandoori chicken I had in India though. That was so tender.   I asked an Indian chef, he recommended lowering the temp and doing the midway baste and the results were much better.  The hotel used three tandoors, all running at different temps for different foods, chicken went in the moderate one.  The pics show how the chefs hang the skewers for the midway baste / rest.  Then I’ve put in a pic of the end result from the hotel chefs to show the level of char they go for.

[Update].  It worked really well on the KJ.  350f for 10-15 mins.  Out and basted with ghee.  It was probably out for around 5 mins.  Back in for another 10 mins or so, then a good rest. The flavour was pretty much the same as when cooked in the tandoor, but maybe a little less tender...  Maybe.  I'm nit picking TBF.  Have added a pic to show the end result.

003CE3C3-3AA4-49D1-AD1A-571364C54CBA.jpeg

7033B38E-6558-4C45-A8BC-0DFB9D3C4DE9.jpeg

7111650D-C316-4D20-9FB5-0CCEA8B7581D.jpeg

Wow! Really enjoyed these, probably my favourite tandoori chicken recipe to date, thanks for posting. As you suggested I tried a two stage cook which seemed to work well. They were tender and juicy, just the ticket for a lunch in the sun. 

I did some seekh kebabs and grilled veg to go alongside. 

B7742B1F-8F60-4BA7-8735-4A3C32057A6C.jpeg

66CF9B80-4294-49A5-9E51-A6A8FBB29471.jpeg

C7979C9C-0B0B-4A50-AB24-240B362F7D8B.jpeg