6 pounds of short ribs Texas style

So with my confidence rising I decided to get me a proper piece of beef. Got up early this morning lighted up the Joe just in one place so as not to overshoot the target dome temperature. Put three chunks of oak soaked in red wine around the center of the coals.

Next I pulled off the skin on the backside of the ribs and cut off the layer of fat on the topside to get a nice clean looking piece of meat. Took 3 spoons of grounded black pepper and 2 spoons of grounded seasalt and rubbed it on the ribs all sides.

Been reading about the grate and dome temperatures and I'm going to trust the dome thermometer on this. 115C is reached with 135C grate temperature.

After 4 hours I'll wrap it up in butcher paper for another 3 to 4 hours until a core temperature is reached of about 92C.

Man I'm so anxious about this, can't wait til its done!

packed-shortribs.thumb.jpeg.348fbadc06449baa5baab617067be2f2.jpeg

seasoned-shortribs.thumb.jpeg.691ddb35c8696bb1bef3a813dfddb787.jpeg

It looks like you’re starting to get good pull back on the ends. The only thing I would be differently than what you’ve described is giving it a little spritzing of beef broth, apple cider vinegar, water or just sniveled to help keep the outer surface from completely drying out. That way when you go to wrap your bark will have really set and when its done you’ll get that incredible crunch and soft chew that beef short ribs will give you. 

What stall are you talking about? Not sure what you mean.

Fired up the grill at 8am let it come up to 115C / 239F dome temperature and let it sit for 30 minutes to get fully hot. At that moment it was at 135C / 275C at the grill. During the session I slowly brought the grate temperature down to 120C / 248F as well, as the dome temperature was slowly creeping up. Dome temps never got over 120C and for 95% of the time was perfectly stable between 110C and 115C.

I put the ribs on at 9am.

I wrapped it up in butcher paper 4 hours later at 1pm, meat was at 84C/183F.

Temperature of the meat came down to 65C/150F after wrapping.

2,5 hours later I was like screw this, let's take it off. The meat temperature wasnt going up anymore, that was at 88C / 191F.

Instructions said 92C core temperature of the meat and the picture that go with it is nice juicy pinky meat.

Again according to the instructions it should have gone at least another 4 hours (it says 8 to 10 hours) wrapped up but I didn't trust it.

When I took it off the grill to wrap it up the bones were loose and one of em fell right off by itself. To me that's a sign its done and when I make a chunk of beef in the oven I aim for 65C / 149F core temperature so I thought 92C was high. I figured its a different kind of beef that I would usually get.

So while wrapping it up I decided to put it back on there reasoning with myself that my book speaks of 2,5kg  / 5.5lb and mine was actually 7lb and not 6 as the title states) so the times must be at least the same. I should have trusted my gut and tested it when I was wrapping it. I'm pretty sure it was done right then.

Next time I'll wrap it at 3 hours and test it at 5. Also, I think I might lower the dome temperature by 5C. ow and less pepper and a little bit more salt :-D. Maybe swap those, 2 spoons of pepper and 3 spoons of salt. I think some garlic might be good too so maybe rub some on it as well.

24 minutes ago, KamadoKarl said:

What stall are you talking about? Not sure what you mean.

The meat temperature wasnt going up anymore, that was at 88C / 191F.

Karl, you actually answered your own question.

The stall is the point in a cook were the meat actually stops cooking until the muscle relaxes and breaks down. I equate it to how acupressure works. Let's say you have a stiff muscle in your shoulder if you apply enough pressure to that exact muscle eventually it will give up, relax and the pain you have will go away. The same could be said about your beef ribs, had you held in there just a bit longer and kept applying heat the muscle would have relaxed, it would have then softened as it finished cooking.

You also referred to the instructions you were following, I follow them all the time but I also try to remember that each piece of meat is not like the other even if it is the same cut which basically means I use the instructions only as a guide and let the meat to dictate how the cook is going to go.

In this thread I made a video preparing beef short ribs and in it I talk about getting through the stall and how I deal with it.

As for the seasoning, you may want to start with a straight 50/50 mix of salt and pepper to balance each other out. Salt enhances a meat's flavor and pepper changes the flavor of meat. Starting with a 50/50 mix gives you a good base with which to work and then you can add in more of one or the other to get the flavor you're going after and then slowly introduce other seasonings to obtain the taste you want. The more you do this the less time it will take you because you'll already know which seasoning/spice will do what to a flavor.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your advice. I watched your video twice and made some notes along the way. Man that looked amazing, all soft and juicy. That's how I wanted mine to turn out. I'll get it next time though :P.

I see your dome thermometer was clogged up with moisture and I think I noticed a grate sensor? So your 225-230F was actually at the grate and not in the dome. I was actually around 275F grate temperature to get the dome to 230F.

You wrapped after 3,5 hours or so? Noticed your meat temp was around 160 to 170F which 74C.

How long after the wrap, 1,5, 2 hours? I think you mentioned 5 hours total?

Your meat looks really nice and pink, take another look at mine, its grey and its tough. If I had it on there even longer it would be rubbery and all dried up. I don't think meat gets pink after it gets greyish, its overdone at that point ;-).

I could be wrong of course but I'm pretty sure I had them on there for too long and maybe I just missed the real stall you talk about. I didn't know about it but I'll watch for it next time.

When I cleaned out my Joe after the cook I noticed all coal had turned to ash so it didn't have enough fuel, dome temps were coming down as well and that's probably why the temperature stalled in the end. I close all vents after a cook to save what coals are left in there so they didn't burn up after the cook.

I really don't understand why my book says to aim for 92C temperature in the meat. I think that's wrong. That's 198F, do you remember what temperature yours had when you took it off the grill?

You’re cooking a piece of meat that requires low and slow cooking to get tender - not a piece of steak or a roast. The last time I did short ribs mine probed tender at 204f.

next time don’t remove the membrane from the short ribs- you generally do that for pork ribs but not beef as it’s required to keep them together.

with anything low and slow you need to test for the meat being tender - not strictly the recipe or temperature. Each piece of meat will behave differently. Take a toothpick and probe the meat if it feels like butter you are good!

It did take about 5 hrs to go from start when I put them on to when I took them off. I think I had run it up to about 180ish before I wrapped them in paper when I noticed the stall had begun. At that point it I think it was probably another 2 1/2 hrs until I got to pull them off when they were reading somewhere between 205-210F. I think the biggest difference is I kept it at much lower temps than what you did which is how I got the real dark bark and the red center. I think the maximum temp I did was somewhere between 240-250 just to help me push through the stall but as soon as the meat temps started rising again, I closed off the top vent in my Akorn and let it drop back down to between 215-230F and then held it there to get to the finish.

I never go by the external temperature gauge, #1 it's always fogged up #2 depending on what temperatures I'm cooking at it is incorrect by as much as 60 degrees (such a P.O.S.) which is why I have a temperature probe clipped to the grate. 

Keep doing doing what you're doing Karl, this is how you learn. It's how I learned and how all the other folks in this forum have learned. Every now again you're going to have a fail (God knows I've ruined ALOT of perfectly good meat) and then every now & again you get it just perfect and it's like magic, that is what keeps me firing up my grill.