Best Wood for Salmon

I have hickory, oak, pecan and cherry.  Which would the best with using the salmon recipe using the Brown sugar, salt and pepper rub John did the YouTube with?

I'm thinking cherry.

The best wood smoke for use with salmon and other fish, IMO,  is Alder.( Nice mild clean flavor) What you want is a smoke flavor that enhances the fishes own delicate flavor, IMO, the woods you mention, while great for beef, pork, lamb, and such are just way too strong for fish and will mask rather than enhance their natural flavor. My humble two cents, anyway. 

I have been down the Rogue River in Oregon several times and Alder was was used exclusively (both green and dry) for cooking salmon and steelhead and it is hard to beat.  That being said, I have cured and smoked salmon at home using Apple wood and was quite happy with the result.  The closest of your choices would be cherry IMHO.

I agree with @buckleybj - cedar plank over direct heat is the way to go. Soak the plank for 30 minutes in water, oil the top surface put on salmon and brush with a glaze made up of coarse mustard, mayonnaise, maple syrup, chopped dill and lemon zest.

We used the cherry based on family agreement and it was fantastic.  I bought my above wood from "Smokerwood.com" as the owner

was really helpful.  He actually called me.

Where are ya'll getting the apple and alderwood?

6 hours ago, Gebo said:

We used the cherry based on family agreement and it was fantastic.  I bought my above wood from "Smokerwood.com" as the owner

was really helpful.  He actually called me.

Where are ya'll getting the apple and alder wood?

I get bags of alder chips at True Value, every once in a while they have Alder in blocks as well. I  also think you can find it on line. I have used cedar planks and like them as well.