New Firebox, not Level; Ash Tray sticking

UTVol

Hey Gurus,

Need some help, if possible.  I received the new firebox for my Classic which originally came with the one piece KJC.  I'm not sure if I put it together incorrectly but I noticed my grill grate wasn't level.  I don't remember if it was level before I cooked on it the first time but its not now.  I tried to fiddle with it and makes sure the petals were seated properly, no luck.  Not sure if the metal is not level but will check that next.  in the meantime I wanted to probe to group and see if anyone else ran into this.  

Secondly, the ash tray seems to be getting stuck.  I think I've determine its warped and is hitting the exit port but again wanted to see if anyone had this as an issue. I'm not sure if this is covered under warranty or not but wanted to get some thoughts before I went down that road.  Anyone else have an issue getting the ashtray in and out?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, UTVol said:

Hey Gurus,

Need some help, if possible.  I received the new firebox for my Classic which originally came with the one piece KJC.  I'm not sure if I put it together incorrectly but I noticed my grill grate wasn't level.  I don't remember if it was level before I cooked on it the first time but its not now.  I tried to fiddle with it and makes sure the petals were seated properly, no luck.  Not sure if the metal is not level but will check that next.  in the meantime I wanted to probe to group and see if anyone else ran into this.  

Secondly, the ash tray seems to be getting stuck.  I think I've determine its warped and is hitting the exit port but again wanted to see if anyone had this as an issue. I'm not sure if this is covered under warranty or not but wanted to get some thoughts before I went down that road.  Anyone else have an issue getting the ashtray in and out?

Thanks in advance!

When you put the firebox together inside the KJ, rotate that bottom circular ceramic piece in such a way that your ash tray comes out and goes in easily.

Also, if that metal ring which holds the ceramic petals of the firebox  is not flush, your grate won't be level.  One of the best vids I've seen on assembling the new firebox came from a forum member in here.

6 hours ago, UTVol said:

My ash tray sticks constantly. I think the SS base (the part that stays in the firebox) warps with time and heat. KJ sent me a replacement a couple years ago and the problem went away briefly. It started with the one piece firebox and has continued with the new multi-piece firebox.

I gave up and just wiggle it around to get it in and out. It's not a big deal to me since I only use it when I'm cleaning out ash - I run without it installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact problem on my new KJ Classic. The ash catcher appears to wander. But even if I wiggle it so it's in front of the opening, the durn drawer catches on the upper edge of the vent. The drawer takes a lot of fiddling before it clears the opening. Very reluctant to withdraw.

Any adjustment you can think of?

I'm tempted to disassemble the thing, hammer the loser flange of the ash catcher out flatter, and go from there.

TIA

As others have said, it's possibly an alignment issue. If your ashtray is sticking then you can grab your new style firebox by the top metal retaining band and rotate it slightly even if it is already put together. Does it look like the top of the installed firebox is otherwise centered in the main bowl? You can even move the firebox around a little without taking it all apart and putting it back together just to discover that it's still not centered (been there, done that).

Best of luck

My Catcher from a Classic 3 went within a couple of cooks, there is a reasonable twist which makes it get stuck, it's increasingly getting harder to pull out of the door, it's not an angle issue just distortion,   also the stainless housing seems to be smaller than others have photos put of up, this allows ash to get into the void around the ash catchment system.  I don't know if its Stainless component small or the fire box ring is large, that being said I have a reasonable gap for each petal, again it differs to most others images of assembled units.

Great product but there may be some manufacturing tolerances that have a wide margin, I'll address  this issue with my supplier a little later, with a bit of luck it gets hot enough to distort back, haha