Charcoal Addict

Wrapping in 2 year old Kick Ash Basket

My 19 month old 3 Gen Kick Ash basket has started warping.  It really has been stress tested in anyway.  I haven’t raised the Joe above 650 F on any recent cooks.

It’s a little disappointing to see warping on a relatively young KAB.  I’ll probably go with Kamado Joe OEM to replace the again 1st Gen KAB in the second Big Joe.

A8A6F173-FE33-420A-94F2-BF49DD97CB21.jpeg

E9934E04-9CE5-4DCC-9BC8-EE9D0320D60D.jpeg

That's my plan also. .The one in the JR gets the most use by far and it's warping.  Even without hi-heat, some warpage could be expected. But the one in the BJ  was purchased for a PitBoss and now is in my BJ gets occasional usage and it is warping.

5 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

Maybe I’m blind or stupid, or both, but I don’t see it

Second vertical bar from left to right

25 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

Maybe I’m blind or stupid, or both, but I don’t see it

it’s worse in the other side.  I’m still cooking.  I’ll take a shot of the warp on the other side of the KAB tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, ckreef said:

You all do realize that at 500* dome the temp down in the basket area is 2 to 3 times that hot. 1,000* - 1,500*. A little warpage can be expected. Still the benefit out weighs the warpage. 

it’s not the end of the world.  I need a second basket for the other Big Joe.  I’ll end-up going with a KJ OEM basket for the other grill.  

It’ll depend how bad it warps overtime. If it starts to warp upwards deforming the basket, rather than side to side, that’ll be bigger problem then.

Hmm, this is my KAB after 18 months use.  In my opinion, yours is not so bad.  Note that it also warped into a bowl shape - I pushed what remained of the bottom flat to use it on its last cook.

I use my kamado 4+ times a week on average and 4 times out of 5, on high heat for pizzas and post-sous vide searing.

I contacted Kick Ash and they told me that their new stainless baskets last longer and guarantee them for 3 years.  Mine was one of the older carbon steel baskets, without guarantee.

Anyway, a usd100 basket (everything more expensive here than USA) amortised over 300 cooks isn't so bad, considering how good it is at managing ash, which was my single biggest gripe for my kamado.  I've bought a new stainless steel one and I'm hoping for longer life.

Aside from that, I agree with Deity6667.  Why use the grate and the KAB?

KAB_burnt_out.jpg

3 hours ago, Snoozeboy said:

KAB_burnt_out.jpg

Whoa, that's bad! Am I correct that KAB switched from steel to stainless steel? Do you guys have the steel or SS versions?

Yes, the photo is of an old version made out of carbon steel. I now have a new, stainless steel version, which has a 3 year guarantee. 

I looked up the tolerances of the two and stainless has a melting temp a few hundred degrees higher than carbon steel. 

Please note I didn't post the photo as a criticism. I'm a big fan of KAB and to survive 300 cooks, the majority of which would have been 550f++, would last most people years. 

1 hour ago, Snoozeboy said:

Yes, the photo is of an old version made out of carbon steel. I now have a new, stainless steel version, which has a 3 year guarantee. 

I looked up the tolerances of the two and stainless has a melting temp a few hundred degrees higher than carbon steel. 

Please note I didn't post the photo as a criticism. I'm a big fan of KAB and to survive 300 cooks, the majority of which would have been 550f++, would last most people years. 

It’s the newest stainless steel version with a 3 year warranty.  Usually they want you to bring the old unit in as part of the exchange.  I’ll have to wait for the BBQ store to open.

I have Both a gen 1 original, and a thicker beefed up gen 2 KAB. Both are bent, charred, rusty, but still perform their intended function. Hard to to imagine putting piece of gear in to a more harsh environment. Ck is right, the temp in your fire box is easily 2x the temp on your dome thermometer.  Anything, stainless or not, is going to show wear over time, the more you cook the quicker the damage appears . KAB puts out a great product, but everything including me has a life span,  I just figure on replacing my basket every 3 or 4 years. Cost of doing business.