Charcoal Addict

Wrapping in 2 year old Kick Ash Basket

My newly released Primo Oval Jr KAB has shipped and is scheduled to deliver on Thursday. This will be my first true KAB as my Komodo Kamado's come from the factory with an ash basket. 

Also for anyone about to get the new Gen 2 stainless steel version - realize that when stainless steel gets heated to a high enough temperature it rusts. If I remember correctly the chromium in stainless steel is what gives it the stainless property. At high heat the chromium molecules on the surface gets burned off and the stainless steel starts to rust. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

My newly released Primo Oval Jr KAB has shipped and is scheduled to deliver on Thursday. This will be my first true KAB as my Komodo Kamado's come from the factory with an ash basket. 

Also for anyone about to get the new Gen 2 stainless steel version - realize that when stainless steel gets heated to a high enough temperature it rusts. If I remember correctly the chromium in stainless steel is what gives it the stainless property. At high heat the chromium molecules on the surface gets burned off and the stainless steel starts to rust. 

It’s actually Gen 3.  There were 2 other versions of the KAB before this.

14 hours ago, deity6667 said:

Why use the grate as well?

By using both the grate and basket, you will use a bit less charcoal , which is fine if you`re not doing a lot of high heat cooks.

4 hours ago, Smoking Section said:

By using both the grate and basket, you will use a bit less charcoal , which is fine if you`re not doing a lot of high heat cooks.

No. 

You're restricting airflow with the bottom grate. You could get the same effect using one or both of the vents. 

Restricting airflow was my point. That's what will cause you to not go through a bunch of fuel too fast. It's not for everyone but it's a set up that s uses a bit less charcoal. 

2 hours ago, Smoking Section said:

Restricting airflow was my point. That's what will cause you to not go through a bunch of fuel too fast. It's not for everyone but it's a set up that s uses a bit less charcoal. 

Or, just close your bottom vent a fraction more

Kick Ash stuff is, IMHO, over priced and over hyped.  Suitable baskets are available on eBay for less than half the price and mine has lasted a year of 2 to 3 times a week cooking with no rust out and no warping.  At this rate, I have no idea when it will need replacing but it will be a long while yet.  It cost 36 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273413922024

When it finally goes out, I'll replace it with another 36 buck basket, just like with any fire basket or grill grate.  They don 't last forever.

Tom

PS:  I don't do long high temperature cooks, but I do burn the grill out with 600° run ups after each cook to keep it clean.

59 minutes ago, T_om said:

Kick Ash stuff is, IMHO, over priced and over hyped.  Suitable baskets are available on eBay for less than half the price and mine has lasted a year of 2 to 3 times a week cooking with no rust out and no warping.  At this rate, I have no idea when it will need replacing but it will be a long while yet.  It cost 36 bucks.

When it finally goes out, I'll replace it with another 36 buck basket, just like with any fire basket or grill grate.  They don 't last forever.

Tom

PS:  I don't do long high temperature cooks, but I do burn the grill out with 600° run ups after each cook to keep it clean.

Have another source, that link is out of stock and cant find any thing else on the web.

6 hours ago, 95m3ltw said:

Have another source, that link is out of stock and cant find any thing else on the web.

Alibaba used to have ash baskets but i'm not sure what the freight would cost you 

I haven't looked since I bought my baskets.  I bought two because I didn't know how long they would last and now that seems like overkill.

Tom

On 5/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, T_om said:

Tom

Do you use that one in a Big Joe? Says for 22", but Big Joe is 24".... wondering how much it would restrict the amount of charcoal I can put in it. Is it a good fit for BJ?

-Andrew

I have had my KAB in my Big Joe for 2-3 years.  No worries here.  I never looked hard enough to see if it warped.  It only has 2 jobs...  hold lump and let air through.  As long as it keeps doing that, it stays in the Joe.  

Replacing that thing before it completely falls apart would be a waste of money.  

These things are NOT gonna last forever.  They are just like the charcoal grates in the bottom of a weber kettle.  You will have to replace them at some point in the game. 

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Replacing that thing before it completely falls apart would be a waste of money.  

These things are NOT gonna last forever.  They are just like the charcoal grates in the bottom of a weber kettle.  You will have to replace them at some point in the game. 

I don’t expect anything to last forever.  It was purchased in Sept 2018.  It’s relatively young to see product fatigue.  

I use it as a long as it’s useful.  I’m inclined to Test Kamado Joe’s version on my second Bog Joe to see if it performs any better as a replacement.  I’ll reserve judgement based on what I see with the KJ basket after 21 months of usage.  

962A3C67-CE22-4EBF-9728-EC4211E8FDA5.jpeg

C9BC1B09-7A4A-46EE-99BE-CF1E7585AF39.jpeg

6FF9D454-5511-4FAC-A72A-0B5402C2B86B.jpeg