What happened to the sidebar with the newest posts?   This was a useful way to see what was active and frequently led to an  informative topic that I wouldn't ordinarily search for.

3 hours ago, Paul in AZ said:

Not on my screen.   I have done nothing to my computer or to the site.   WTF?

How do I get it back?

At the very bottom of the page you should find a "theme" drop box.  Choose something there and see if it fixes it.

are you viewing from a phone or tablet?  The mobile site doesn't have the side bar.

Check for full site settings in browser settings. 

Computer.  I use a Mac.  No mobile devices.

Could there have been some tweak to the interface that keeps me from seeing it on a Mac?

1 hour ago, Paul in AZ said:

Computer.  I use a Mac.  No mobile devices.

Could there have been some tweak to the interface that keeps me from seeing it on a Mac?

are you using safari on your Mac? try enlarging the window. On my Mac, if I reduce the safari window size, the side bar disappears. I haven't mucked with any of the site settings, i.e.,  I use the default settings

Using Safari.  I've widened the page as far as I can and nothing changes.

'Theme' settings don't change anything.

A recent change in the site is the commercial banners at the top of the page.  They are now over a foot tall on my screen.   Related?

This may be more trouble than its worth.

BINGO!  

It was the size of the banner ads that caught my attention.   Having failed to change anything by elongating the image I played with the magnify/minify keys on my keyboard [F14 and F15].  

Hitting the minus button several times the sidebar appeared.  I also no longer see any banner ads on top.

How it got  to be magnified is a mystery because I literally never use those buttons.

Success.