TRIPPERS42

First Cook Experience / Advice for future cooks

Hi Guys,

After toying with the idea of upgrading my BBQ to a Kamado Joe Classic II, I finally took the plunge a few weeks back. Have done lots of research online and watched a tonne of videos, but wanted to start 'basic'. Therefore I put together some homemade burgers using the recipe in the KJ Owner's Manual.

In general the cook went well and they tasted great. However, at one stage when I went to flip the burgers, some fat dripped off and caused the temperature to rise from 400 to just over 500 degrees. I've obviously read that using a drip tray is a good option when using the heat deflectors, but how can I avoid this scenario happening in the future? 

Thanks in advance from a KJ newbie.

Daniel

When i do burgers i don't use the deflectors, i let the fat drip onto the coals, sounds like you had a grease fire on the deflector plates as opposed to a flare up from grease dripping on coals. Grease dripping is just part of grilling and takes a little while to get used to .The drip tray is used by some when they have a long cook and don't like the plates getting a lot of gunk on them. Just trying to say there is many ways to do things. Keep trying till you find what you like and what works for you.If you use a drip pan raise it up off the plates with a foil snake  Hang in there and you will love your Joe.Track down John  Seltzer Kamado book a lot of good info in it 

Thank you for your response. On this occasion, I wasn't actually using the heat deflectors. Was cooking direct with the stainless steel cooking grates. The grease dripped on the coals and caused the heat to rise significantly. It rose to 500 degrees and stayed there.

As you said, it appears like it will just take some getting used too. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing glaringly obvious that I was doing wrong or not doing at all.

Will take a look into the book. Thanks for the heads up. 

I doubt it was grease from a burgie that caused such a spike by itself.  Did you have the lid up for an extended period possibly?

What he said ^ .... It's probably the oxygen feeding the fire with an open dome more than the grease itself. Grease will cause flare ups, and some temp rise, but it seems the air is the likely candidate to raise the temp 100 degrees. 

-Andrew

Forgot about the lid being open think that is the most likely culprit. Trippers42 have you cooked anything else?

I have only cooked 6 times on my Joe.  Here is what I have learned.  I now start my grill at least 1 hour before I plan on using it.

I was staring too quick in my early cooks and having all kinds of temp fluctuations.  Start your grill up earlier and it may help.

Gebo as you learn your Joe the temp fluctuations will lessen.Have seen John Setzlers Kamado guide lots of good info in it.