Posted (edited)

Someone with a legal tender scale will need to repeat test because scale I used was not legal tender.   Reason that I decided to do this test was when cooking commercial bacon I kept seeing water.   A couple of weeks ago I bought Holden Colony bacon at local farmers market and when I cooked it, I saw no water which means bacon was naturally cured with dry brine. To confirm my suspicions I did the test today on commercial package of bacon.   My result for the commercial bacon I tested had 46% water.   I took photos showing all the weights so values in spreadsheet can be confirmed. You can see in one photo water seeping from bacon and in another you can see when bacon turned that it had been sitting in water.  This confirms commercial bacon is cured with injection brining.  

4741D06D-DC0D-431C-961A-BA3D1A7E3756.jpeg

A33CBEBE-FB0E-4EFD-9170-CDE4FEDC4360.jpeg

B5B9E128-6DD2-447B-9A35-D9D8E2F8019F.jpeg

A98AD7B8-9DDD-4C2F-B72E-A1F608530BAF.jpeg

ED46B76B-370E-425E-A735-E30071CF4B64.jpeg

07FC7BAB-4A06-45C8-AA6B-2B8FF5B97BB4.jpeg

111DF2D0-0173-4474-BD66-E97DF87E04C7.jpeg

E1CE6C7C-4057-4453-9780-189A3ECE6F0A.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice
Made minor edits to clarify.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bonsaikitten
      I purchased a built-in Classic Kamado Joe last week, and am trying to finalize the design of my BBQ island. I have three installation questions:

1) Does anyone have a cover recommendation for a built-in classic Kamado Joe (Same size as BGE Large model)? I have searched online but haven't found a suitable cover. I need something that is approximately 5" longer than the dome opening.

2) My countertop is granite, and there will be about a 1/2" gap between the granite and the kamado. I will build the kamado internal support structure out of waterproof material, but I would still like to use this area for storage and am trying to figure out how to keep water out (besides the cover). I had the idea of using some stainless steel flashing around the kamado where it meets the granite. Has anyone tried or seen something similar, or any other recommendations?

3) How much venting does a built-in kamado require, particularly for the bottom vent? I have a few louvered vents and an access door, but would prefer not installing the louvered vents unless necessary.
      Thanks!