Is the Kamado Joe DoJoe worth it? Head to head review

In my Kamado Joe DoJoe accessory review video you guys asked for a head to head review against pizza cooked normally on the Kamado Joe pizza stone. In today’s video (posted "over there" lol) we compare pizza cooked on the Kamado Joe DoJoe vs. pizza cooked on the Kamado Joe Classic 3 using a pizza stone side by side.

I have a DoJoe for my Classic I. I dig it and think it upped my pizza game, which was darn good pre-DoJoe. It’s not cheap, so “worth it” should take into account the significant monetary investment. Is it an “improvement”? In my opinion, yes. Is it “worth it”? I dunno when measuring cost against improvement. Do I regret my investment? Not for a second. Would I do it again? Probz. 

10 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

I have a DoJoe for my Classic I. I dig it and think it upped my pizza game, which was darn good pre-DoJoe. It’s not cheap, so “worth it” should take into account the significant monetary investment. Is it an “improvement”? In my opinion, yes. Is it “worth it”? I dunno when measuring cost against improvement. Do I regret my investment? Not for a second. Would I do it again? Probz. 

I am in the same camp. If you’re the person who was tempted to add a pizza oven even though you already have a Joe this is the most economical way to get the pizza experience leveraging more of what you already have. 

I really like mine... but the pizza doesn’t taste 300 better. 

Curiosity got the better of me so I had to watch. I always thought the DoJoe was a solid idea. Being able to see and rotate the pie without having to open the dome is a big advantage in my mind. Great video. 

Just curious why you didn't pull the parchment with the first turn? 

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

Curiosity got the better of me so I had to watch. I always thought the DoJoe was a solid idea. Being able to see and rotate the pie without having to open the dome is a big advantage in my mind. Great video. 

Just curious why you didn't pull the parchment with the first turn? 

Thanks for checking it out. I normally do but didn’t multitask well while also trying to look at the camera 

Aldi (amongst others) sell this pizza oven for $40. Sits on the Kamado or gas grill and cooks the same way the as DoJo. 

1899020123_Image1.jpg.487904a80e6ec59d907185dd0e6c1767.jpg

I recently bought an Ooni Koda which is basically the same except it has a gas burner in there so not in the market for one of these myself. Anyone care to give it a go given the massive saving over the KJ product.

I agree with your video. I have a dojoe and primarily break it out when im doing multiple pizzas. Great pizza can still be made without it. It is alot of fun watching it bake and that adds to the overall pizza experience. With enough  practice and patience a homecook can make pizzeria quality pizza with either setup. 

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, kurwaslobo said:

Does DoJoe works in high temperatures or does it take some damage, i mean temperatures like 450c-500/ 840F to 930F?

Dojoe isnt meant for those temps. Max is 700F. If you want the 930F pizza Roccbox is an excellent choice. I have one and enjoy it alot. I do prefer Dojoe for when I want American pizzeria style. In my opinion it does that very well. (Especially if you have a big joe and stretch out a 16 inch pie)

1 hour ago, Brandon Store said:

Dojoe isnt meant for those temps. Max is 700F. If you want the 930F pizza Roccbox is an excellent choice. I have one and enjoy it alot. I do prefer Dojoe for when I want American pizzeria style. In my opinion it does that very well. (Especially if you have a big joe and stretch out a 16 inch pie)

Another good option - without buying another cooker - is to get a kettle pizza attachment. I have one semi-permanently set up on my 18 inch Weber Jumbo Joe, although I can also move the bolts and put it on my bigger 26. With a good stone/steel, it will easily hit those quick cook times for Neapolitan.

Nothing wrong with the ones I make on my KJ Jr though

Now, if only I had a good picture where I didn't completely screw up the launch

IMG_5096.thumb.jpeg.c2f2adfe3134d9e060e2361ef6c48845.jpegIMG_5088.thumb.jpeg.c0ad3c9a6ef56ced8d7bea3dc9a2e5a8.jpegIMG_5092.thumb.jpeg.571d0bdc39f30e18106ed1743556c053.jpeg

8 hours ago, kurwaslobo said:

Does DoJoe works in high temperatures or does it take some damage, i mean temperatures like 450c-500/ 840F to 930F?

As others have mentioned, it says not to exceed 700*F. That being said, I'm not even sure that you could exceed that stated limit, even if you tried. (Well, I guess if you really, really tried, you could easily exceed 700*F; I mean under regular/normal conditions of typical lump charcoal, naturally aspirated...). I've fired up my Classic I with the DoJoe, with a full basket of lump (RO or KJ), bottom vent wide open, top vent closed, basically according to normal conditions, and the dome temp never exceeded about 650F. I think its design prevents getting up to the 450-500C/840-930F range.

Those temps are in the Neapolitan range, and there are much better tools than the DoJoe. It really is not up to that task.