jeffplant

Kamado Joe accessories

Guys just pulled the trigger on the  Kamado Joe Classic I Charcoal Grill. What accessories would you recommend i purchase?

e.g. thinking i need to buy a pizza stone etc.. looking for any recomenndations.

Thanks

Jeff

12 minutes ago, jeffplant said:

Guys just pulled the trigger on the  Kamado Joe Classic I Charcoal Grill. What accessories would you recommend i purchase?

e.g. thinking i need to buy a pizza stone etc.. looking for any recomenndations.

Thanks

Jeff

Welcome to the KJ family :)

First accessory you need is a great quality instant read thermometer... see this video I made a while back:

As far as any other accessories are concerned, I'd cook on the grill for a while and let your needs determine what to buy.  Don't pile up a bunch of accessories early that may start collecting dust soon.

The cast iron grate.  It will take your steak searing results to a new level.  IMO as much as the pizza stone is a great accessory, the cast iron grate is even more of a must have accessory than is the pizza stone. 

Agree with above advice - Gloves and thermometer are the 2 essentials. Beyond that, you can do a lot of cooking without anything else. The pizza stone is great for pizza, so get it if you want that, but otherwise not something you need day 1. Charcoal and wood chips aren't accessories, but you'll need them anyway. 

I've had my Joe for a good few weeks. I already had the gloves and thermometer options from previous grilling/bbq. I did get a pizza stone shortly after I got the grill, but I'm an Italian-American man from Staten Island whose grandfather owned a pizzeria for 30+ years. Beyond that, I've resisted the temptation to buy too much stuff, but I am definitely eyeing a charcoal basket at some point (I have the BJ II so it's not included as it is with the III series).

I am not too excited about the rest of the accessory options, but if I were to rank what I'd consider buying beyond this it would be the Joetisserie, maybe the stainless griddle and/or grates, and perhaps the DoJoe, but really I'm not likely to buy any of it this year. I can already do so much with what I have.  

-Andrew

1. get a controller, any controller will enable you to do overnight cooks.

2. get a half moon ash basket so you can elevate your coal closer to the grate, but only on one side. that was my biggest headache trying to do reverse sear steaks. 

a controller is a good option but learn how to use the Kamado without the aid of the controller first and like John a good instant read therm.is a must. I use my controller most of the time for monitoring temp of grill and meat, with fan not used, if im busy i'll use the controller and monitor on my cell phone. A Joettessory would be a good option this is my first charcoal grill without a spit. Now that it's warm a can cozy would be nice.