Garth

Making introductions...

This is my Kamado. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

Actually, my Kamado was first property of my father's good friend who imported a bunch of them back in the late 60s, and it was passed down to me about 10 years ago when that man passed on. My dad also has two other "larges" and a "medium" of the same vintage that he acquired many years ago. His late brother, my uncle, also had one or two. As the story goes: my dad found them for sale at an import market many years ago and they weren't priced correctly -- specifically the decimal was off by one place, so they were marked at $150, instead of $1500, and similar for the smaller ones. Nobody else really knew what they were back then, and so the shop keepers didn't realize how crazy that price was. My dad and uncle bought all of them. :)

So Kamados have been part of my life for almost as long as I can remember, but I only had one to call my own when I "inherited" this from my dad's friend's estate when he passed. I had previously constructed and still occasionally use an Alton Brown flower pot electric smoker to fill my basic smoking needs. I keep it up on my little getaway property. 

She's definitely showing her age but she still cooks with the best of them. <3

IMG_20200514_201720.jpg

IMG_20200516_163227.jpg

IMG_20200517_140805.jpg

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Is its name Charlene?

I don't know if James Lee Burke, in his Dave Robichaux detective series, ever assigned a gender to the 3-legged pet raccoon, "Tripod".  I would go for that.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Is its name Charlene?

Lol I saw your comment earlier today and I was like... uh... huh? Ok... And I went about my business. 

Then I followed someone's recommendation from the KJ Facebook group to your YouTube videos. I watched most of a brisket video with the sliced onions garlic and green pepper in the roasting pan before wandering back here to check on this thread. 

And then I was like... Wait a minute... I recognize that name. :)

No she doesn't have a name but that's not a bad idea. Nearly all my life it's just been "the Kamado," like everybody had one. 

9 hours ago, Garth said:

Lol I saw your comment earlier today and I was like... uh... huh? Ok... And I went about my business. 

Then I followed someone's recommendation from the KJ Facebook group to your YouTube videos. I watched most of a brisket video with the sliced onions garlic and green pepper in the roasting pan before wandering back here to check on this thread. 

And then I was like... Wait a minute... I recognize that name. :)

No she doesn't have a name but that's not a bad idea. Nearly all my life it's just been "the Kamado," like everybody had one. 

I was just following up on your Full Metal Jacket reference from your original post :)  Private Pyle's rifle's name was Charlene :)

41 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I was just following up on your Full Metal Jacket reference from your original post :)  Private Pyle's rifle's name was Charlene :)

Man that's a good pull for the movie trivia. I love that movie too but I couldn't have told you the rifle's name. Well done.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

My kamado is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

:-D:-D:-D

Welcome to the Guru OP

Edited by T Yelta
added "OP"