MurphyBBQ

Greetings from Denver!

This is actually my second post as I needed some mid-cook brisket help (thanks to those who saved the day!) but new KJ (Classic II) owner here. Just moved to Denver from Atlanta and spending a lot of time cooking and smoking while in quarantine. On to home brew as well here in the next week or so.

So far have primarily grilled but did tackle a brisket (Id give it a 6.5/10). Have a pork butt and a rack of St Louis ribs on deck for Memorial Day Weekend so along with this ill take any advice on the two of those!

In other news, planning on spending the forseeable future of my summer setup on this porch with the KJ rollin and beers flowin.

Porch.jpg

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and information around here.

Butt I cook until 205, wrap and put in a cooler for minimum 1 hour or longer.  After the rest pull and enjoy, I use a finishing sauce after pulling it.  Ribs pull the membrane, rub down with your favorite seasoning then put on the grill indirect.  I like picking them up with tongs in the middle of the rack.  When they bend easily there ready.  

Blu'S PIg Juice

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

10 tablespoons ketchup

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

1 1/2tsp red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon white sugar

1/2 cup water

1/2 tsp salt and black pepper 

Directions

In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the vinegar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, and water. 

Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the sugar dissolves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and let cool. The longer it sits the better it gits

If ya like a little heat and less Sweet in your sauce this is MY favorite on Pulled Pork & chicken

Welcome to the forum, it looks like you've got a perfect setup to enjoy your KJC2

On 5/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, MurphyBBQ said:

... did tackle a brisket (Id give it a 6.5/10). Have a pork butt and a rack of St Louis ribs on deck for Memorial Day Weekend so along with this ill take any advice on the two of those!

Yeah, brisket can be persnickety-but-rewarding. You're in for a much easier time with pork butt or ribs. 

I will note that, being thin on meat, ribs are sensitive to hot spots on the grill. Even cooking low-n-slow, there's more heat coming up at the edge of the deflector than in the center. Lay an 18" rack on an 18" grate and the ends will be done long before the center. I do half-racks, so I can turn them in more directions and get every rib the right heat to be done at the same time. 

I'd also do the pork butt and ribs in separate cooks, so you're not working one around the other on the grate. Start with the easy way. In addition, you can pull the pork at ~170F internal, wrap in foil, and finish indoors with no effect. Smoke flavor and smoke ring are done by 170F, but a lot of fat has yet to render. It makes a mess if you don't wrap in foil, and if the grease hits the fire, you get the "other" bad white smoke. 

Stay well,

Frank