Flare Up Issues

hillbillyben

Please be kind lol

So, I’m Still working on how to finesse the PK360.  New to briquette cooking prior was lump only on KJ.  Was just cooking up some burgers and had a problem with flare ups.   It wasn’t occasional it was almost a constant flame while cooking.  Was set up pretty much as 2 zone.  

I don’t know If it’s a single variable issue or a combination of things. 

To much Fat:

Meat was a normal 80/20 pretty sure.

Seasoning was lowrys season salt and a dash of the bbq rub (too much sugar content?)

Briquettes:

Can an uneven lighting of briquette cause a greater amount of flare up?  Uneven layers?

Type of briquette?  This was plain Kingsford.  

Grill Set up:

Temp was around 400 - 450 (coals on the left)

Normal SS grate (no grill grates)

Food:

was edible but crunchy...........burgers shrank up a ton though.  

Thoughts, suggestions, smack downs from the kamado family?

thanks.

Ben. 

Don’t have the PK360 but have the original PK. Are you cooking with the lid closed? 

How many briquettes you using? I find the PK to be extremely efficient so I don’t go wild on the coal load unless smoking.

In your 2 zone set up on the cool side are you using a drip pan? Not sure on the shape of bottom vessel of the 360. Could grease runoff from the cool side over to/under the coals?
I fortunately have had no/zero flare up problems.

Hope you get it figured out. I have had my PK almost 12 years now and would never part with it.

10 hours ago, Vanole said:

Don’t have the PK360 but have the original PK. Are you cooking with the lid closed? 

How many briquettes you using? I find the PK to be extremely efficient so I don’t go wild on the coal load unless smoking.

In your 2 zone set up on the cool side are you using a drip pan? Not sure on the shape of bottom vessel of the 360. Could grease runoff from the cool side over to/under the coals?
I fortunately have had no/zero flare up problems.

Hope you get it figured out. I have had my PK almost 12 years now and would never part with it.

A little less than full chimney.   No drip pan.  Flare ups were all on coal side.   

8 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Flare-ups usually mean too much air.  Even in the KJ too much air can cause flare-ups.  ^^Lid closed?

Yup lid was closed.  No hibachi style grilling.  It started almost instantly when burgers were placed on grate.   That’s why I’m leaning towards fat content or something with air flow.   Not sure.  

-I have not had any issues with 80/20 on the PK (original). However on my Hasty Bake Gourmet if I crank that firebox right up under the grate (sear position) I have had a flare up or two in the past. Luckily there is alot of "grill-o-state" on the Gourmet I can go to the second grate level or crank the firebox down to the bake or smoke position.

-After reading your two posts this morning I would start playing around with your vents which are different (much nicer) on the 360 as compared to my original PK

-Or maybe just introduce your guest of honor on the indirect side intially.