Rob_grill_apprentice

Close call with Catalytic converter thieves

Posted (edited)

Had very close call with Catalytic converter thieves,  they got scared off by neighbour.  You can see they are experienced thieves, by how their face and head are covered and the why they try to avoid camera,  one of the thieves peaks around shed at camera and the goes back behind shed and drops to ground and crawls in ground to get under my car with battery powered saw.  Just lucky they got scared off.  

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

Posted (edited)

Forgive my ignorence, but is stealing cat coverters off a car actually a thing in canada?

I mean, its not exactly breaking someones window for loose change but its close to that level of stupid

Edited by Polar Bear

Yeah, years ago it happened in my neck of the woods. Something like 15 people got hit at work in one day. Our company hired a private eye to track them down. He was getting gas and noticed a vehicle matching the security cam footage following around a uhaul. He called the cops and they pulled them over.  The uhaul was full of them from all over the city from what we were told. All for the metal inside.

Big problem in the UK as well. Catalytic converters contain precious metals hence they cost upwards of $1,500 to replace. Palladium sells for $2,350 an ounce, rhodium is currently above $10,000 per ounce, six times the value of gold. The thieves get paid about $500 per cat and they normally target hybrids (the cats are less polluted) but any modern car is vulnerable. Many owners are fitting their own security or workshops are offering it as a service:

1540496531_Image13.thumb.jpg.68fb603c2d7e48caa3fed778f66397fb.jpg

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Forgive my ignorence, but is stealing cat coverters off a car actually a thing in canada?

I mean, its not exactly breaking someones window for loose change but its close to that level of stupid

It is growing trend.  In my city the Food Bank Delivery Truck got hit, and it made the local media because it prevented delivery of much need food.   

Police report filed, evidence on passenger side confirmed battery type chop-saw used which left identifiable marks on passenger side door and body over right front tire.  Police took pictures of damage and took picture of video showing individual with hood and mask.   I have suspicions that they will try again next week, if I see them I have been instructed to call 911 and report In-progress.   

I just finished painting pink lines on parking pad to the passenger side as I back into parking pad, , spaced each line 5 meters apart.   Thinking of putting wind sock up as well but would place on drive way side of pad.     I want them to think very hard next time,   I will be calling 911 of coarse as I can’t take any action because of Canadian law.  Sometimes wish we some laws like Texas.    I have to examine where I can hid a trail cam to be able to get license plate number which I can then give to police.   

Got phone call from Police Investigation Team, they requested copy of video as the same vehicle was  Involved In at least 4 other reported incidents of catalytic converter theft from parked vehicles which occurred after attempt on mine,   Video sent to Investigation team.  They replied video working good for them.  Sounds like they are close to catching the culprits. 

Went to dealership today to have them lock under my car to see it anything was cut or damaged.  Clean bill of health no cuts or damages.  

Good to know my video is now is now police evidence.  

Posted (edited)

Removed some panes from the gate in addition to painted lines.  The lines were painted before I removed the panels.   I have made inquiry about getting 4” by 8 ft  International  orange wind sock with gear to install on my fence to be a few feet higher than fence.   I just finished removing panes.  I am hoping it prevents another attempt.    

7F6EE87F-D109-401E-A4A0-A23FD06831A4.jpeg

94203ECF-DC24-4509-9CC9-D13A96718F43.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice
Corrected spelling error

Catalytic converters are expensive.  If you don't want to spend $2500 to keep a $5000 car going, then it becomes a paperweight that won't pass smog.