helliger

Thermoworks Signals/Billows website and new app created

There is now a BETA website for the Signals and Billows. It's cloud.thermoworks.com. As well there is a new BETA app that has been written from the ground up so they'll be ditching the old one altogether (it wasn't that great).  I just installed the Android version of the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tworks.thermoworks_app  If you can't find the IOS version from the App store I can get the link to it or I imagine if you email the link below you'll get it as well.

Offhand it looks really slick but I just installed it. For people who want to test it out and comment they can send feedback to  apps@thermoworks.com

A new firmware is supposed to be released very soon as well. I ended up getting the Signals/Billows initially since I knew the hardware would be solid and figured they have the resources to update the app, add a website etc.. Looks like all that is coming about now.

Here's a screenshot of the dashboard on the website and a screen shot of some options from the dashboard view on the website. Current graph on the phone app is a placeholder will eventually be similar to website graph.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 1.56.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 1.57.25 PM.png

This is great news. I’ve emailed about the iOS app, be great if you have a link For it though?

As you say the hardware with this unit is great, if they can sort the software out they have a killer product

30 minutes ago, &roid said:

This is great news. I’ve emailed about the iOS app, be great if you have a link For it though?

As you say the hardware with this unit is great, if they can sort the software out they have a killer product

No I don't have the link. She had just told me to email her if I needed it. Since you already emailed them they'll probably get it to you soon. If so could you post it in this thread? Be good if they have multiple testers. 

Hopefully they've tightened up the open lid feature. They added that a while back but it's not implemented very well (at least for a Kamado). It can easily overshoot the temp since it doesn't wait long enough for the temp to climb before the fan kicks back in. I'm going to test that out tomorrow and see if they've worked on the algorithm. 

When the lid is closed (using current setup, not the new app etc.) I've been able to get very steady temperatures. I've had connection issues though and just a lot of little glitchy stuff. Hopefully they get this worked out since it's completely redone from the ground up.

I’ll report back when I hear. 

Interesting that you’ve had problems with the open lid detection, mine has been pretty reliable so far. Don’t think it’s overshot by more than 5/10°F. 

2 hours ago, &roid said:

Search the Apple app store. It comes up in the Google store just searching Thermoworks. When you click on it there you see it labeled as "Early Release."

Anybody know if we get a notification when the firmware is available? I expect the app release will improve features but it would take the firmware to fix the glitch that has my Signals occasionally freezing on me. 

13 hours ago, SeaBrisket said:

Search the Apple app store. It comes up in the Google store just searching Thermoworks. When you click on it there you see it labeled as "Early Release."

Anybody know if we get a notification when the firmware is available? I expect the app release will improve features but it would take the firmware to fix the glitch that has my Signals occasionally freezing on me. 

I was told when we open the app we'll get a notification that a firmware update is available when it's ready to go. Apparently was going to go out last week but then they found a few other things they wanted to put in with it. So probably be updated soon. 

I've experienced the freeze scenario occasionally as well. Been testing this new app all day and no issues with that so far though. It's possible it could be fixed without a firmware fix depending on what's causing the freeze.

Editing this. After going for many hours it lost internet connection even though the wifi signal was very strong. Had to turn the Signals off then on again and it was connected again. I had fired up the old app as well and it couldn't see it either. That does sound like it's the Signals itself.

Hopefully the Firmware that's due out fixes that

As it’s a beta it’s only available via TestFlight on iOS. 

The app looks good so far, much more polished than the old one. 

These are the things I’d really like to see added:

1. Apple Watch app - frankly this would be amazing. Being able to glance at my wrist and quickly see the temp vs getting my phone out and unlocking it would be a big improvement in UX. 

2. They’ve added a notes section, be great if this was expanded a bit to allow more detailed notes and the addition of pictures. It could be a single place to document cooks and ultimately learn more from what we do. 

3. It would be nice to have an indication on the graph of when the fan was active. On the fire board app this looks a really helpful indication of what’s going on with the fire. 

Also, I don't seem to be able to login to the web based service (cloud.thermoworks.com), I've tried this on my phone and laptop, and used chrome and safari with the same results.  Even though I enter a password the site doesn't seem to recognise that one has been typed in so you can't press the sign in with email button:

363739008_Screenshot2020-05-28at11_43_40.thumb.png.1bbfe3e80c1dcc7d94f4284ead871a60.png

3 hours ago, &roid said:

Also, I don't seem to be able to login to the web based service (cloud.thermoworks.com), I've tried this on my phone and laptop, and used chrome and safari with the same results.  Even though I enter a password the site doesn't seem to recognise that one has been typed in so you can't press the sign in with email button:

363739008_Screenshot2020-05-28at11_43_40.thumb.png.1bbfe3e80c1dcc7d94f4284ead871a60.png

I created an account using the same username and password and then I got in

Turns out it was a problem with my password - the one I set up in the app didn’t have a number in it. The app allowed it but the website wouldn’t let me log in. All fixed now. 

Got a couple of cooks planned this weekend - a whole grilled turbot, a rotisserie chicken and some prawns/langoustines. I’ll report back how the new app works. 

Tried it out last night on some beer brats. First of all, much improved. The graphing finally works well and the interface is good. No issues manipulating the temperature.

Fortunately this is beta. I took some notes during the session and ended the session when I was finished. Now the session displays in the app and when I click on it I'm taken to their cloud site where the graph is available to view but I don't see my notes. They seem to have disappeared into the cloud. There is a note area there but it's blank. 

My second issue is the alarm was kind of obnoxious. I didn't know the best temperature to get my beer bath up to a simmer and I wanted it gentle so I started low and and kept bumping the temperature up in 25° increments. Every time I adjusted the target temperature I got three notifications on my phone that I had to clear. Two low alarms that might have been both the app and the Android system giving me a notification, and then an additional notification that the cloud site was being updated in the background. I don't think a low alarm needs to be generated when you've just started a session or adjusted the temperature. 

I also received the same three notifications every time I opened the lid. If the lid open function is activated it should know that it's unnecessary to send a low alarm.

28 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

Tried it out last night on some beer brats. First of all, much improved. The graphing finally works well and the interface is good. No issues manipulating the temperature.

Fortunately this is beta. I took some notes during the session and ended the session when I was finished. Now the session displays in the app and when I click on it I'm taken to their cloud site where the graph is available to view but I don't see my notes. They seem to have disappeared into the cloud. There is a note area there but it's blank. 

My second issue is the alarm was kind of obnoxious. I didn't know the best temperature to get my beer bath up to a simmer and I wanted it gentle so I started low and and kept bumping the temperature up in 25° increments. Every time I adjusted the target temperature I got three notifications on my phone that I had to clear. Two low alarms that might have been both the app and the Android system giving me a notification, and then an additional notification that the cloud site was being updated in the background. I don't think a low alarm needs to be generated when you've just started a session or adjusted the temperature. 

I also received the same three notifications every time I opened the lid. If the lid open function is activated it should know that it's unnecessary to send a low alarm.

One thing I noticed is I had my other original app running as well and that was sending an alert too. I forced the old app to stop so just one was running. Not sure if your situation is the same.

I've been keeping notes too but since it's BETA I'm going to hold off on reporting. A lot of the stuff is probably known, not implemented fully yet etc. The online monitoring looks like it will be pretty slick. 

If they can make this thing reliable and work out some of the glitches of the old setup I'll be a happy camper.

They probably have several months of development before it's fully functional but like where this is going

25 minutes ago, helliger said:

One thing I noticed is I had my other original app running as well and that was sending an alert too. I forced the old app to stop so just one was running. Not sure if your situation is the same.

I've been keeping notes too but since it's BETA I'm going to hold off on reporting. A lot of the stuff is probably known, not implemented fully yet etc. The online monitoring looks like it will be pretty slick. 

Good thinking on the old app. I'm doing wings tonight so I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens. 

I did report the notes issue and they responded quickly by email asking for more detail so I'm now in touch with them and also shared my alarm issue. 

Gave the new beta app a go recently and overall it is a great improvement.  There are few things that I would like to see tweaked mostly having to do with improving the interface as opposed to functionality.  For example naming a session and adding notes is a little clunky.  Also it would be nice to be able to view the graphs separately between the grill temperature and the food temperature since the scales are often so far apart. Of course being able to combine them again would be nice also.  Since I downloaded the beta they have updated two or three times which tells me they are serious about getting it right.  Here’s the graph from the cloud post cook.

C971A10B-6695-42F2-89A8-0EF2DAFD9F14.jpeg

On 6/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, GiffS said:

Gave the new beta app a go recently and overall it is a great improvement.  There are few things that I would like to see tweaked mostly having to do with improving the interface as opposed to functionality.  For example naming a session and adding notes is a little clunky.  Also it would be nice to be able to view the graphs separately between the grill temperature and the food temperature since the scales are often so far apart. Of course being able to combine them again would be nice also.  Since I downloaded the beta they have updated two or three times which tells me they are serious about getting it right.  Here’s the graph from the cloud post cook.

C971A10B-6695-42F2-89A8-0EF2DAFD9F14.jpeg

Not sure if this is what you mean but you can turn off various graphs by clicking on them.

I'm not sure if they've worked on the algorithm or if my process is better but I've been getting very steady temps lately. I changed a few things. I used to clamp the temperature gauge to the lid themometer (using alligator clips which fit right on the probe https://www.zoro.com/ideal-alligator-clip-non-insulated-pk4-770200l/i/G2079585/)

Lately I've been attaching the alligator clip to the grate (directly over the drip pan which is closest to the temp the actual food is receiving).  This works well if I have enough space between the meat and probe, not enough room if cooking two pork shoulders (I have a KJ classic). This cook was for ribs (only one rack of ribs so plenty of space). I notice the temp is quite a bit lower than the dome temp throughout the entire cook when I put it over the drip pan.

They've added the open lid detection feature a while back but for a Kamado at least it's still not well implemented. Basically seems to shut off when it senses a rapid loss of temperature and then waits maybe a minute or two and fires back up so can easily overshoot your temp. I was cooking these ribs without wrapping so I had to baste them quite a bit. I unplugged the Billows when I did that and then set the temps on the billows manually to make sure it didn't kick in until I wanted it to. 

My cook was for 225 so after I opened it I lowered set temp to make sure the Billows wouldn't kick in until it got back up to 225 naturally. Occasionally I'd help it along by nudging the set temp a degree or two to nudge it along since it might take a while to get back to 225. Definitely not hands off but not much work since I just do it with the app. 

Pretty rock solid results though. Set temp was 225 and it never once went above 228 for the entire cook. At the very end when the temp starts dropping it's because I unhooked the Billows and shut the vents down before pulling em off the KJ.

ThermoWorksCloud 84_0d_8e_23_c7_6e Signals .jpeg