Thermoworks Signals/Billows website and new app created

12 hours ago, SeaBrisket said:

They just released a new firmware update. I've had issues with Signals freezing with the fan blowing nonstop and they are saying this update will fix that issue. 

“Just” as in, today (23 Jun 20)? I installed a firmware update a week or so ago and although the temperature control is tighter, with less on an overshoot after lid opening, the connection to the app was v buggy and the whole unit froze/crashed twice when I used it yesterday. 

I had to turn it off and on to reconnect to the app 5 or 6 times during a 6 hour cook. Unimpressed ☹️. Have downloaded the beta app today after emailing them so will try that. 

1 hour ago, Deskbound said:

“Just” as in, today (23 Jun 20)? I installed a firmware update a week or so ago and although the temperature control is tighter, with less on an overshoot after lid opening, the connection to the app was v buggy and the whole unit froze/crashed twice when I used it yesterday. 

I had to turn it off and on to reconnect to the app 5 or 6 times during a 6 hour cook. Unimpressed ☹️. Have downloaded the beta app today after emailing them so will try that. 

I think it was just released. It should say version 2.62 if your on the latest release. 

I've experienced what you have as well. I think it's because it won't econnect if it loses a signal for a moment and restarting is the only way to get the connection back.

Hopefully this fixes it. I had added a wifi extender which made dropouts infrequent but still occasssionally experienced it.

We'll see if this fixes it. They are definitely spending time on the software side of things lately.

I have used the beta version for quite a few cooks in the past few weeks and I am encouraged.  The temperature control is solid and the features of the new app are a huge improvement over the old one.  Still a few minor interface issues but it is going in the right direction.

Did my first cook with the new firmware yesterday with one minor issue and two more annoying ones. First, when I powered on my Signals wouldn't connect to WiFi but I revisited the settings and I just needed to input my password again, no biggie.

Second though, when it first powered up the pit temp defaulted to 225. I set it to 300 as my target, let it preheat to there, added wood, waited awhile and added my chicken with a meat probe. Came out to check on it a bit later to find my grill was at 286 and the fan wasn't blowing. Looking closer, the target temp had changed to 225, the same temperature it had defaulted to on startup. They only things I'd touched were to plug in the meat probe and set a target temperature for that probe.

Finally, I had set an alarm to check on it when the chicken temp hit 150. A while went by and I eventually stepped outside to see the Signals reading 157 without having given me an alarm. I opened the app and it had lost connection to the Signals, reading at an earlier temperature. It took a shutdown and restart of the app to reconnect. Fortunately I had set my target low to check on it early so nothing was ruined. I have a solid WiFi setup that gives me no issues and I've noticed before with the beta that when I put my phone in my pocket then check the app later it takes some time to refresh to the current readings. I don't see any setting on phone that might be restricting the app's behavior.

These issues were reported to the developers. Hope others here are also reporting. 

I’ve been emailing the software developers at ThermoWorks and they’ve been very interested and helpful with the feedback. Apparently they’re updating the app almost daily, and firmware every week or so. Hopefully they’ll work these bugs out soon

On 6/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, SeaBrisket said:

Did my first cook with the new firmware yesterday with one minor issue and two more annoying ones. First, when I powered on my Signals wouldn't connect to WiFi but I revisited the settings and I just needed to input my password again, no biggie.

Second though, when it first powered up the pit temp defaulted to 225. I set it to 300 as my target, let it preheat to there, added wood, waited awhile and added my chicken with a meat probe. Came out to check on it a bit later to find my grill was at 286 and the fan wasn't blowing. Looking closer, the target temp had changed to 225, the same temperature it had defaulted to on startup. They only things I'd touched were to plug in the meat probe and set a target temperature for that probe.

Finally, I had set an alarm to check on it when the chicken temp hit 150. A while went by and I eventually stepped outside to see the Signals reading 157 without having given me an alarm. I opened the app and it had lost connection to the Signals, reading at an earlier temperature. It took a shutdown and restart of the app to reconnect. Fortunately I had set my target low to check on it early so nothing was ruined. I have a solid WiFi setup that gives me no issues and I've noticed before with the beta that when I put my phone in my pocket then check the app later it takes some time to refresh to the current readings. I don't see any setting on phone that might be restricting the app's behavior.

These issues were reported to the developers. Hope others here are also reporting. 

I just cooked a chicken with that firmware version v2.62 and it lost connection a few times (so a dud of an update) but they already released another firmware version v2.79. Doing two pork shoulders overnight tomorrow with the Billows so we'll see how it goes. 

I can't get the new app to pair to my signals. I click on add device, and select signals, and it says no bluetooth devices found.

The old app has no problem connecting.

Did you have any problems connecting? I've updated to the latest firmware using the old app, which now uses a separate updater app.

1 hour ago, Walrus said:

I can't get the new app to pair to my signals. I click on add device, and select signals, and it says no bluetooth devices found.

Did you have any problems connecting? I've updated to the latest firmware using the old app, which now uses a separate updater app.

They just updated the new app last night. Says it has a new graph and firmware update support now. Make sure you have it and force close the app to reopen it from new.

Looking forward to trying the new app tonight for some pork shoulders. Apparently the update replaces the placeholder graph. The website graph is real nice so hopefully similar to that.

What version of the app are you running? I still seem to be on the same one I started with... not sure how to update a test flight app on iOS? Does it happen automatically?

37 minutes ago, &roid said:

What version of the app are you running? I still seem to be on the same one I started with... not sure how to update a test flight app on iOS? Does it happen automatically?

They emailed me this morning that there's a new update but it may be slow to arrive in the Google store. I'm not on iOS so I don't know that we'd have matching versions but in Android I'm on 0.0.64, waiting for update. 

I updated to the new firmware this morning and have a pastrami to smoke through the afternoon so hopefully the app will update in the next few hours. 

2 hours ago, Walrus said:

I don't think I paired through my phone's Bluetooth menu. I believe I open the app and it does the scan but I don't remember what I may have done when I first got it. 

1 hour ago, &roid said:

I have Android and I'm on version 0.0.71 which just came out last night. I'm not sure how you update a test app on IOS (I thought you could just go to the App store and see the latest version?) If you can't find a way I suppose you could delete the app and reinstall? 

Maybe they haven't released the new IOS version. Testing it out now. The new graph looks good (its different than the cloud graph but looks good on a phone). It seems to be a half degree lower than actual readings but figure that's a pretty easy fix.

53 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I don't think I paired through my phone's Bluetooth menu. I believe I open the app and it does the scan but I don't remember what I may have done when I first got it. 

Correct, it's through the app. In the app, I click add device, and you can add smoke, signals or bluedot. I select signals, it searches, and then says no bluetooth devices found.

I removed the signals in the old app, did a search, and it re-found the signals no problem through bluetooth. Deleted the app and reinstalled from the app store, still nothing. The new app obviously doesn't work on my phone.

The only permissions it asks for when first installing is location. What permissions does your phone show?

17 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Correct, it's through the app. In the app, I click add device, and you can add smoke, signals or bluedot. I select signals, it searches, and then says no bluetooth devices found.

I removed the signals in the old app, did a search, and it re-found the signals no problem through bluetooth. Deleted the app and reinstalled from the app store, still nothing. The new app obviously doesn't work on my phone.

The only permissions it asks for when first installing is location. What permissions does your phone show?

They may not have released an IOS update yet.