Lost Down Under

Help Needed Kamado K7

Hi,
I'm new to the Kamado world and am embarking on a K7 project.

I recently picked a Kamado that requires a bit of love before I can learn how to use it.

The biggest problem I have is that I am in Australia and I can find very little in the way of information or parts over here. I have read through Addertooths restoration thread about a dozen times and have learnt a great deal about this unit.

I have a heap of questions about the grill, but will attack them one at a time so as to be not too painful.

Here's some pics of the K7 now.

1479143635_KamadoK71.thumb.jpg.c6968fede35bb6858cdd4610f585ce88.jpg1034260536_KamadoK72.thumb.jpg.d0428a324e8e61ab7707026e285a80de.jpg1031401552_KamadoK73.thumb.jpg.ad907c010a6d81ae2718050c52a0c053.jpg1791648093_KamadoK74.thumb.jpg.3274609b3f903972d8db71d22bec8635.jpg726755300_FireBox1.thumb.jpg.a3d85171188eaa921133a43a10bb7315.jpg

So, the first couple of questions that I have,

Does anyone know of a charcoal basket that will fit from either Weber, Kamado Joe or BGE that will fit into this grill? All of these brands are readily available in Australia, so reasonably easy to pick one up.

There's no heat deflector in it. I did read that a 16" pizza stone is the right size, but what does it sit on, and how far below the bottom of the main grill does it need to be to work well?

Plenty of questions to come yet!

I was looking closely at the Rocket Kamado and saw the brackets that they use for the deflector. Easy enough to make.
Does anyone have the measurement down from the grill lip to the deflector?

Another thing that I noticed is that the Rocket looks like it doesn't have the refractory heat shield under its charcoal basket. The basket just appears to sit on the ledge. What's peoples thoughts on this idea, or am I not seeing it right?213169686_IdeaHeatDeflector1.JPG.0589e9a1719d6bd2540c7e365964a0b8.JPG2041087507_IdeaHeatDeflector2.JPG.2e95641fe1013ea828d4e5159f87f9d5.JPG638312728_IdeaCharcoalBasket2.JPG.ff9feb208910e325f64f3db0e23e673a.JPG

Welcome to the forum. That K7 looks to be in really good shape. I'd guess that it's a late '90's or early 2000 vintage

by the wheel cart. Richard Johnson changed to a different style in the early 2000's. If you can't find a suitable

charcoal basket from the Weber, etc. this outfit is in the US and might be able to fill your need.

https://www.kickashbasket.com/

The heat deflector / pizza stone sits on the lower bracket that you have pictured above. I don't have a K7 but

measurements taken from my K5 and K9 are 3"  and 6.5" respectively from the lip of the Kamado to the top of

the bracket rod. So a guess for the K7 would be about 4.75" - give or take. If you go the pizza stone route, get a

thick stone as a thin one may not hold up as well.

Here are some specs for size and weight which might be of use. 1376707254_ScreenShot2017-06-23at4_33_57PM.thumb.png.7df1e10984671cf9d5d2ff7f850321f9.png

RJ changed the design of the charcoal baskets probably around the mid 2000's or so. The new design required that the

refractory heat shield be removed. The reasoning was that you could get more air flow to the charcoal and ash would not

accumulate on the heat shield and block the air holes. Your call if you want to use it or not.

I see that you also have the older style of gas assist option. The newer ones were redesigned to fit in the air intake damper

at the bottom of the Kamado. Some folks have used refractory cement to fill that hole in the back of the Kamado and tile

over it instead of using gas. Again your call. FYI - the tile used on the Kamado's can be found in tile stores which supply

pool tile.You may have to do a little searching on line if you can't find it locally.

Just a brief history - Richard Johnson began the Kamado company and was successful till about the mid 2000's. I think

that he sold it a few years later and the outfit that bought it renamed the Kamado the Kamado Rocket.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new BBQ venture.

Great information thank you.
I thought that the trolley was a home made job.

On the removal of the heat shield, does this create any problems with the extra heat being radiated into the bottom of the main body from the charcoal basket? I;m thinking that it may be the way to go considering the cracking problems with the original heat shield.

Had a really good run today. The top vent had me worried after reading Addertooths encounter with his.

Mine was all seized up and refused to budge as well. Pulled out the Yield and soaked it for an hour before trying to work it loose. This stuff is the best rust perpetrator that I've ever come across.

Put a heap of pressure on it and it moved. Worked it back and forwards a few times, ran a die nut up the underside of the thread (3/4" Whit) and bingo, I won!

Cleaned the thread up, ran a couple of notches along the thread to hopefully stop this happening again, then added a stainless split pin and washer to stop the vent coming right out if someone decides to unscrew it too far.

Cleaned up the underside and also the tiles and grout on the outside.

Really happy with how this part's come up.

Pics are before and after.

234944496_TopVent2.thumb.jpg.6fe5d7474d6471ae50df6a58a7dc0145.jpg625135952_TopVent3.thumb.jpg.5ca0a89775c9df5a54d96cebd8077af2.jpg240926746_TopVent4.thumb.jpg.5cfc35767ebbbd91adb90650222670e0.jpg1761338469_TopVent5.thumb.jpg.3d026f053d4c7a7ca3947afb48d44882.jpg1425554743_TopVent6.thumb.jpg.7327046c82b708555ce138b90deffc27.jpg2115879202_TopVent7.thumb.jpg.583851a391a6762c2ef6bd818a5b583c.jpg1226546767_TopVent8.thumb.jpg.cde5327051a287d897ec542d871f61f6.jpg

Nice job on cleaning up the spyder and bolt in the vent cap. Be careful putting too much pressure on the cap

so that the bolt doesn't break free from the cap, break the cap, or possibly break the neck part of the dome

where the spyder is anchored in. RE: Your question about not using the heat shield - the only part that is removed

is the small insert with the holes which normally sits in the larger charcoal bowl ring. The charcoal bowl ring, in your

pix with the fine cracks, stays in place. The charcoal basket sits on that ring / bowl and the ash drops into the

lower section of the Kamado. I have no experience using the Kamado without that insert as mine is pretty

well jammed in place and I don't really care to remove it. The Kamado works fine with it in while using a charcoal basket

It's your call to use or not - give it a try and see how you like it. You will get better air flow and no ash buildup

close to the bottom of the basket. Your settings for airflow may be different with the part installed vs. not installed.

I found a guy over here that's had one for 25 years. His suggestion is to do as you've said. He has only removed the round center grate and uses a Kick Ash basket. Reason being that the charcoal bowl ring deflects the heat from the coals away from the bottom of the kamado, thus reducing the chance of cracking.

How are you cleaning the ash out?

My charcoal bowl ring needs a fair bit of love!

I was going to clean it up and use a refractory mortar to basically glue it together. Any thoughts on this?655374369_FireBox6.thumb.jpg.e6bb673bae5a406a98be2acf0ca36db8.jpg

RJ produced a combination ash and grate scraper tool. It's a  rod with a flat piece of metal

at the end - a T shape. One side has grooves to fit the grill grate for cleaning and scraping  while the

other side is flat so you can remove the lower draft door and insert it into the lower section of the Kamado to

scrape out the ash. I've also used a shop vac with the dust or fine particle filter to vacuum the ash out.

What I ran into using this method was that the ash being sucked down the hose built up a static charge

and, while not deadly was surprising and annoying!!! ZAP!  LOL!

There are 'L' shaped tools available from BGE, Kamado Joe etc. that will do the job or you can fabricate

a simple scraper tool to do the job. A shop vac works too but be warned. LOL!

I can't comment on the repair of the charcoal bowl as I have not encountered that problem. Hopefully,

someone else who has experience in this area will chime in. I think there may be a post or two

regarding this issue and you might search this sub forum. Sorry.

I thought that may have been the only way to clean the ash out, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Been hit a few times with the vacuum have you?

I've read a few threads on the repairs, but am thinking that I may even leave it in 2 pieces. They fit neatly into the main body and being 2 parts should allow for expansion without cracking any further. Either that, or I'm over thinking the whole thing!

11 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

I've also used a shop vac with the dust or fine particle filter to vacuum the ash out.

What I ran into using this method was that the ash being sucked down the hose built up a static charge

and, while not deadly was surprising and annoying!!! ZAP!  LOL!

There is someone here (she knows who she is) who has used a leaf blower to clean out her grill.

19 hours ago, Lost Down Under said:

I found a guy over here that's had one for 25 years. His suggestion is to do as you've said. He has only removed the round center grate and uses a Kick Ash basket. Reason being that the charcoal bowl ring deflects the heat from the coals away from the bottom of the kamado, thus reducing the chance of cracking.

How are you cleaning the ash out?

My charcoal bowl ring needs a fair bit of love!

I was going to clean it up and use a refractory mortar to basically glue it together. Any thoughts on this?655374369_FireBox6.thumb.jpg.e6bb673bae5a406a98be2acf0ca36db8.jpg

Ive Used Amaco Kiln Cement to repair 

5 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

There is someone here (she knows who she is) who has used a leaf blower to clean out her grill.

Rarely clean mine out   the ash protects the bottom from heat    same  as your fireplace     protects the fire brick

Golf Griller - I just about spat my coffee all over my computer! That's gold. Bet it was done only the once.

marauders   The problem with being in Australia is that very little of anything is available. I did find a supplied South of us that has posted me a refractory mortar that he believes will do the job.

As for the ash, I read that somewhere in another post on here that it was a good idea to leave a layer in the bottom to work as a heat shield for the base. I'll follow that suggestion.